Roy Underhill: Does He Need a New Bench?
I was watching the episode where he is making the shaker candle stand (3 legged table with tapered dovetails for the leg/spindle joint). I noticed for the first time that his bench seemed, well, less than sturdy. It appears to be a store-bought bench, and it did seem a bit flimsy. I wonder why he has not built himself a proper, sturdy bench that doesn't move when performing basic operations? Discuss.
Not my problem and he can solve it better than I.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Maybe he didn't get the memo from Chris?
Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I've been to his school, and he has a whole room full of good benches.

Having said that, perhaps the one he uses in the studio needs to be replaced.

Roy is a whirlwind of activity, and is constantly moving, constantly working and doing something. I really don't understand how he maintains his high energy level.

Perhaps he has so much to do, he has not gotten around to replacing the bench in the studio.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I am sure Roy could build museum pieces on a broken milk crate. But given the importance of a decent bench in a hand tool workshop, it just seems surprising that he never did a series of shows featuring a build of a studier bench.
Roy did a couple of shows, where he built a tall bench.
Let me tell you something young fella, Roy Underhill is the woodworking equivalent to Chuck Norris. He don't need no stinking Roubo bench, in fact he don't even need no stinking tools, he can just will the wood together to make a piece of furniture. Now you best mind your Ps and Qs lest the man himself hears about your post and he comes a lookin for ya.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Roy has had quite a few different episodes where he has made various kinds of benches, leading to one of my many favorite comments he's made (I paraphrase): "I love new workbenches because they are not yet covered with stuff so you can still work at them."

He doesn't glue his work, so he can demonstrate assembly and disassembly. That could explain a bench becoming wobbly.
Roy built a small Roubo with some sort of sliding disappearing angled mortise and tenon looking joint. I know, I watched the whole episode.

Carl
I used to scoff at Roy's studio bench until I moved into my current shop, which is too small to house my own workbench. Though I will say, my "bench" may be ugly (it's 2x4s nailed to the wall with a plywood screwed to the top - built by the previous occupant) but it can't move unless the whole shop moves
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home