Gota brag about the wife
Last night our club had a big party because we have been an AAW chapter for 25 years. As a result there were a lot of "names" that attended, Bonnie Klien, Dan Ackerman, Dave Schweitzer, Larry Miller (youth in turning), etc.

Well, my wife (Impkitti) has been experimenting with inserting colored toothpicks into the bowls she turns as an embellishment.

Bonnie and a couple of others said they had never seen anyone do this before!

It's not a big innovation, but it's a an innovation!
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
very
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Just exactly how does one insert a toothpick into a bowl? Do you have a pic? This intrigues me.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
All I can say it is so nice to see her posting again and really hope both of you do more. I missed both of you here.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Impkitty, I am going to have to remember that one.... Did I miss out on cinnamon rolls???

robo hippy
AHill said:

Just exactly how does one insert a toothpick into a bowl? Do you have a pic? This intrigues me.

+1

Congrats to Impkitti
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
robo hippy said:

Impkitty, I am going to have to remember that one.... Did I miss out on cinnamon rolls???

robo hippy

You met her "Imp-Kitty" when you were here last year, unfortunately he died (at age 18) last winter.

But she says she has cinnamon rolls waiting for your next visit.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Way to go for the missus...
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
I'm envisioning it, let me know if this is correct-

drill small 3/16 or 1/8" holes at intervals (regular spacing or random for different looks) around the rough turned bowl from outside to inside, then glue in colored toothpics to fill the holes. Complete turning.

If that's correct, then I think it's a fantastic idea and very whimsical. Way cool and congrats to her. I imagine she could do the same with dowel rods for larger polka dots.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I think that these are excellent and a fun idea.

In a somewhat similar vein, there were some bowls in the AAW Gallery in Pittsburgh this year where someone had glued/epoxied black walnut shells into the bowl blank. I am not sure, but I think that the shells were nominally oriented so that the top/bottom of the nut were aligned on a radius. The bowls were on the order of 1/4" thick so the shells gave patterned openings.

I think that I like the toothpicks better than the black walnut nuts.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.