Craving a new bandsaw
Trying hard to wait until the beginning of next year, because that is what I told the wife I would do, but I'd like to research it out so I can pull the trigger Jan 1st at 0001, in the morning . I just need to wait until the company money resets. I'm going to be looking for at least a 17" saw in the $2k range. What do you have or wish you had? Looking at 220v single phase. I know it's a ways off, but as I said I'm trying hard to wait...might not happen though.

Bob
$2,ooo will buy a lot of saw. Are you more interested in vertical capacity and HP for resawing or width ?
I would definitely like to resaw. I just jumped on the grizzly site and was looking at the 19" 3hp extreme series saw, that looks pretty good. I'd like to buy the last saw I'll need (although; the wife never seems to believe me, when I say that). Basically, what I have going for me and why I'm looking around the $2k range is a new program at work, that started this year, that gives me $525 (a little over $400 after taxes) as a "health and wellness" incentive. It can be used for a hobby you have that benefits you mentally or physically. I was able to get the money this year for my new lathe, next year is the band saw. I'm figuring maybe $100-200 for my delta on craigslist, so a $2k saw would actually cost me around $1500.

Bob
AgGEM, who loves bandsaws and with eyes bigger than his brain, will be following this thread....

I get a ton of use from my 14 Laguna, but crave a larger saw.
Had the Griz19, but it overshadowed my tiny shop.
Still seeking just the right size....
Ag..
Yeah, that's another issue for me...a tiny shop that I have been stuffing with large machines, however; my 14" delta is just not cutting it anymore (pun intended).

Bob
I see the Grizzly being the best bang for the buck, but if money wasn't a factor the MM saws are really nice (from one who just bought a used MM16).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I know a couple of very satisfied users:
- 1 with a Grizz 17"
- 1 with a Laguna 17"(or higher?)
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
Bob,

With your company incentive money, do you have to buy new or can it be used? That opens up your options a bit, of course.

-Rodger
How much are you doing with your bandsaw now?

Grizzlies seem like a good option in this range (rikon was the other comparable). A used bad-boy or a bit of sale+stretch on a Hammer N4400 would be the other things I might consider. Don't forget to budget for new blades. Expect you'll see some debate about tensioning carbide blades, so might as well tackle that now, as well (figure out if you need/want carbide blades and satisfy yourself that the machine will get adequate tension on them)

In the meantime, have fun with your dreams of sugarplums and bandsaws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3N9zNzDFLo

Matt
I have the Grizzly 636X and am very happy with it. It probably costs a little more than 2K but not much. Over on SMC there are some strings that deal with comparisons of the common top line saws including the 636X, MM and others. They are worth a read. For me the most important feature is the 16" resaw capacity. I looked at saws that have a larger throat size but decided that having to deal with the larger footprint was more of a drawback than the advantage of a bigger throat on the rare occasions when I was sawing something that big. Ken