Polka Dots!
My DH posted about my Polka Dot plate and bowl and I was asked to post some pictures. They were fun to do and a learning experience.

The large one is 9 x 2, the small 6.25x1.75

I used craft sticks for this one. Unfortunately, the commercial dye did not penetrate all the way through, so I soaked them overnight in some aniline dye.

It is difficult to tell from the picture, but the colors are green, blue and purple.

For this one I used colored toothpicks from the grocery store.
Playing with my new friend "Joan" - she's a Jet!
P.S. I *am* the wife
I first have to say it is SOOO nice seeing you posting again!!!

The bowls really look nice, but how did you do the holes and where did you get the colored sticks at?

Are the bowls Maple? What is the finish and are they usable of for display?

Sorry a lot of question but I just NEED to know.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin

It has been a very busy year.

The bowls are both maple. I roughed the bowl and used the index on my lathe to space the holes. The toothpicks take a 3/32 bit in the drill (I don't remember the size for the larger bowl). Bit of wood glue to hold the toothpicks and light cuts to level them, then finish as usual. Oil and wax finish.

For the larger bowl, I used craft sticks from a hobby shop and I will not use them again. The color did not go all the way through, so I soaked them overnight in an aniline dye and they came out too dark. The colors are suppose to be blue, green and purple.

The smaller one is colored toothpicks that I purchased at the grocery store.
P.S. I *am* the wife
They are all nice but, I love the one you did with the toothpicks. Beautiful work.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Those are very cool! Do you have a jig for drilling the holes? Would love to see your technique if you don't mind showing.

Doug
Doug

She said she used the index on my lathe. Most lathes have one but some with 12 holes or 24 holes. My old Delta 46-460 was easy to use that way since the spindle lock did it and all I had to do is spin the spindle wheel to lock into each hole.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Great idea!
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
I used the index on my Jett, but I need to build a jig to insure the holes all go in at the same angle. Some are not quite as straight as I would like.
P.S. I *am* the wife
Very cool and very nicely done
Love the shape and design of the bigger bowl.