Wood for outdoor sign
We need to replace a sign at church and was wondering what wood to use. The existing one is made of plywood and off course is starting to rot. Any suggestions?
It needs to be i 45 wide and 52 high mount to existing 6x6 posts.
Thanks
Bob
MDO signboard plywood is a common choice. Most lumberyards can order it. Many homecenters (menards) stock it. Its decent quality exterior plywood faced with resin impregnated paper on each side.
WoodNET... the new safespace
2nd on the MDO, that's it's purpose in life: outdoor signs. If you do have problems finding it, ask at some of the custom sign shops, they sometimes sell it (at least around my slice of the country).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Whatever gets in the sun and rain will return to the earth.
Some material quicker than others.
You already knew that.
However, nature/God has seen to it that Western Red Cedar and Redwood
can make it >1000 years (as trees).
Nice material, natural, but will require a glue up.
Pat Warner
#1 Question always is: What's the budget look like?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Routerman said:

Whatever gets in the sun and rain will return to the earth.
Some material quicker than others.
You already knew that.
However, nature/God has seen to it that Western Red Cedar and Redwood
can make it >1000 years (as trees).
Nice material, natural, but will require a glue up.

For state parks and the like Cedar is King. Easily routed for signage. Yellow paint in the route makes for a nice looking sign. MDO works, but it isn't sexy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
MDO is great but formaldehyde impregnated and is a HAZMAT so unless you can find a local source it is prohibitively expensive. The local BORG may carry it and some lumber yards do; also check sign shops for price. They may have smaller pieces that they will discount.

The best wood is Ipè but it is pricey.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
If it has to be all wood, the material chosen will be constrained by cost and maintenance considerations. We used MDO for the first sign at our church. It was replaced shortly after I started attending 31 years ago with a frame of pressure treated wood on a cement block foundation. The wording is on a sheet of MDO [I think] but the visible frame is covered with painted sheet metal, and the signage itself protected by clear poly or lucite panes. Only maintenance has been to update the wiring for lights, and remove graffiti.
Bob

I have a DVD on sign making if you want to borrow it. Just send me a PM with your address.

I glued up some Red Ceder using epoxy and it still works and looks great after 9 years.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
HDU or PVC would be my choice