Low angle block plane
First post for the hand tool section so please bear with me. I have a couple of planes that I picked up for cheap. I can get the blade sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm, but they still didn't seem to work right. I never could get them adjusted to give me fine shavings like I see posted here. I heard of people tuning them, but what does that mean?

I have a Vertis low angle block plane on the way and wonder what I need to do with it when it arrives. I am buying it used, so if I can't figure it out I can at least I can sell it for close to what I paid for it.

Thank you for any information you can give.
Don
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

You need to do 2 things. Buy Garrett Hacks Handplane book. Second, find a mentor close by that can share some shop time with you. A nearby WNer, woodcraft store demo, club or guild member....

Barring that, the folks here are pretty good at helping out with this stuff.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

My personal opinion is that shaving an arm isn't a real indicator of whether an iron is sharp enough. Try clamping a piece of pine in a vise and see if you can hold the iron in your hand and push it through the end grain and get nice shavings. The end grain should look like it's burnished. I would also suggest that you see if there is someone near you that you can visit and have them show you how to set it up.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Don,

I'm guessing you're a power tool guy. I remember the first time I started to work with a block plane and had poor luck with it. The posts above give good advice...1) find someone to help, and 2) admit that hand tool sharp is way sharper than machine tool sharp.

Good Luck!
Ok, I got the book now any chance a fellow woodnetter (say within 50 miles) can help me out? I live in Pottsville Pa.

Thanks
Don
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

If the back of the blade at the edge is rounded even just a fraction it raises the sharp edge up just enough to cause problems. A nice bevel going into a rounded back will shave hair but you need that edge or be right at the back. I look to that area with a magnifying glass. Then flatten the back of the blade.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
DaveParkis said:

My personal opinion is that shaving an arm isn't a real indicator of whether an iron is sharp enough. Try clamping a piece of pine in a vise and see if you can hold the iron in your hand and push it through the end grain and get nice shavings. The end grain should look like it's burnished. I would also suggest that you see if there is someone near you that you can visit and have them show you how to set it up.

+1
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
paarker said:

Ok, I got the book now any chance a fellow woodnetter (say within 50 miles) can help me out? I live in Pottsville Pa.

Thanks
Don

You're a bit far from me, but I suspect someone will be able to help you out?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
You've gotten some good advice so far. One thing to add is that no matter how sharp you get your blade you'll never get fine shavings if the sole of the plane is not dead flat. Hack's book should cover tuning and fettling a plane. As mentioned, best if your shown how so you have a good point of reference as to what a well tuned plane and sharp blade is. After that it's on to technique and practice.

Enjoy the ride!
Johnet
Just a caution: Veritas and Lie-Nielson plane products are already dead flat. One can really hurt them by trying to make them flatter. If a given plane [of theirs] is truly out of flat, it will be replaced without question
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard