Italy Trip - Lots of Pics
My wife and I recently went to Italy for a three week self-guided tour with a group of 8 other people. While I didn't have a chance to do anything specifically related to things woody, I did manage to snap a few pictures of wood items I stumbled across, and thought I would share some with you guys.

I'll start with one of the best; an old workbench I saw in a glass shop on the island of Murano, near Venice. I spoke at length with the owner, he found it in an abandoned workshop on the island. They used it as a display for glass jewelry and a cashier's station. He was quite eager to sell it to me, but shipping details were a bit murky, so I had to pass.

This is a gondola with intricate carvings that was displayed in the Doge's Palace in St Marks Square, Venice. It's the only one I saw that had a cover on it. For dignitaries? Funerals? (it is very black)

Carved doors in the Doge's Palace, St Marks Square, Venice. Apologies for the stray people, those pesky tourists were everywhere. It was hard to take a picture without a stranger in it.

I had to hurry through this room (Doge's Palace), and didn't get a chance to read about this, but perhaps it's a confessional? Nice ornate carvings ot the top.

This is a cell door in the prison which was just adjacent to the Doge's Palace. Quite the intricate lock mechanism, looks like they kept the blacksmiths busy!

Some of the water taxis in Venice were absolutely gorgeous; teak and mahogany polished to a mirror finish. If that was my boat I woulda slapped that guy sitting on the back deck.

The Stone Pine was prevalant throughout the areas we visited, it had relatively soft, feathery needles. The first pic was taken on the Cinque Terra coast, and the second in the Boboli Gardens in Florence.

Many of the hotels we stayed in had wooden bedside tables in the Shaker style. Drawer construction was simple, usually rabbets and nails.

Most of the churches we saw had stone, lead, tile for roofs. This smaller church had a wood roof, with rafters that were ornately decorated. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone that could tell me any details about the roof.

Sycamores lining the walkway on top of the wall surrounding Lucca. It was a beautiful fall day and we had a nice walk on the wall.

This oval shaped oak barrel, made in Austria from Romanian white oak, was in the Cantalici Winery cellar near Gaiole.

This wooden latticework decorated the arched door to the laundry room in our apartment in Civita.

The pic says it all. This guy was a talented painter and woodworker.

Dining room in the Salcheto Winery near Montepulciano. These tabletops were not bookmatched, they were made from a single slab. And they were huge. One table could seat 12 - 14 adults. Looks like some kind of oak, judging from the ray flecks, but I could not get a confirmation on that.

Writing desk with intricate inlay in Rome hotel room.

And finally, a little memento that I brought home - an olive cutting board. I found this in a little shop in Volterra, sitting in a box outside in the street. Now there's one of the biggest chunks of olive wood I've seen, I thought to myself. Then I walked inside, and the guy had slabs of olive wood 2" - 3" thick, 2 feet wide and 3 - 4 feet long. Holy cow!

True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Thanks for taking me on the tour with you through your pictures. Looks like you had a great time and experienced a lot. Love all of that.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Very nice pics love the workbench and olive cutting board.
Thanks for posting
Thanks for sharing. of course a woodworker wood buy a cutting board as a souvenir. I don't think I would use it..too pretty. How was the Sangiovese at the winery?

Johnet
Great pictures! Those clear plastic chairs clashed a bit with the wide oak slabs, eh?
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
Nice pics...thanks...Judging by the height of those doors, the Doge must have been a pretty tall dude!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Great post. What a trip you had.

That bench looks like it could still be used for sure. Shipping would be a nightmare though.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Timberwolf said:

Nice pics...thanks...Judging by the height of those doors, the Doge must have been a pretty tall dude!!

The wooden doors in many churches and village walls were humongous. One of my favorites, which I did not get a picture, was a door within a door. The large door which opened onto a private courtyard must have been 18' - 20' tall. Then within this door was a normal sized person door. Thickness must have been at least 4 inches. Impressive!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
JustinTyson said:

Great pictures! Those clear plastic chairs clashed a bit with the wide oak slabs, eh?

They had a large group coming in, and the benches that went with the tables weren't quite long enough. So they improvised by adding whatever chairs they had sitting around. They do look a bit to modern, don't they?