which dream lathe?
I have been saving for some time to get my dream lathe. I mainly do bowls & HF's - not mush spindle except tool handles & finials so I don't need a long bed. & the short list is:
Robust American Beauty
Serious Toolworks
Powermatic 4224

do anyone have any of these or advise?

Thanks
David
My idea of great lathes are

Robust American Beauty
VB-36
Serious Toolworks

The Serious is a big and wonderful lathe and I really would love to see one so maybe it would go up higher.

For me and the other disabled vets I teach if we ever get our GoFundMe site I first get the Serious and see how we like it. Then if we like it but not ecstatic get the VB36 and a PM3520b with an extra bed and get several midi lathes to.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
David,
Search CraigsList widely (searchtempest) for a Powermatic 4224. There have been some recently at envious prices. Barring that the AB is outstanding. The VB is awesome - but somewhat non-traditional - check it out. The Serious looks pretty massive too. Maybe an Oliver patternmaker lathe?

Doug

DCM said:

I have been saving for some time to get my dream lathe. I mainly do bowls & HF's - not mush spindle except tool handles & finials so I don't need a long bed. & the short list is:
Robust American Beauty
Serious Toolworks
Powermatic 4224

do anyone have any of these or advise?

Thanks
David

I just ordered a Robust Liberty. For what you're doing, the AB would be the way to go.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I had the identical short list earlier this year when I was "ready" for my dream lathe purchase. I decided on the American Beauty based on a few - what may seem minor - things.
First, there was a rep who was willing to personally deliver, help unpack and set up the lathe at no charge to me, and second, I had heard and experienced phenomenal customer service and support before and during the process.
The other factor was the Serious has MT3 and 1-1/2" x 8 spindle. While those are "beefier", they also limit the amount of after-market products. Also I had (have) thousands of dollars tied up in chucks, drive and live centers, etc, and using them would require purchasing all new, or using adapters and converters that frankly I did not want to have to purchase.
The clincher for me was being able to turn several projects on an American Beauty. It handled a 100lb+ out-of-balance log like it was a pen blank, and that's all I needed to see.
I'm sure the Serious would have been able to do the same, and would have been a great purchase.
But all I can say is, talk to Brent, talk to your nearest Robust rep, and talk to anyone that has turned with one.
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
My dream lathe would be the Robust American Beauty.
All - thanks for the input - this is a big decision & want to make sure I pick the right one.

The Serious is very impressive looking in the vids & spec.s & at over 1,700 lbs is the beast of the group, but I will have to move it in a 5-6 years... yikes! I also noticed the MT3 & limited accessories. They are a small shop & production my be hit or miss?

I'm VERY impressed with the Robust, but the only thing I question is the weight - I think it's in the 600-700 lb range - I would think I could add some weight to it if needed. But if you had no prob. w/100 lb out of balance blank I don't think this would be an issue?
Steven - did you need to add weight?

I have a Powermatic 3520A now & love it so I'm sure I'd love the 4224 + most likely get a better price than Serious or Robust?

Thanks A Bunch!
David
The PM 4240 does compare to the Beauty. It is cast iron rather than steel, which I don't think makes any real difference other than the noises they make when you turn. The Beauty can be loaded up with sand bags with little trouble. The Beauty is also made in the USA, and when possible, I buy local. The Serious is heavy, but doesn't have the sliding headstock, which I love. The Vickmark are worth looking at. They do have one that has a pivoting head stock, and is really heavy duty, and from what I can tell accurate with no checking to see if it is lined up when you move from one to the other. The Vickmark is the chioce of turners like Mike Mahoney, Stuart Batty, Glen Lucas and Dale Bonnertz. They are all production turners. The VB36 looks like a monster, but all configurations look like bowl lathes. I have a Beauty, and had a 3520A before that. I wanted the 3 hp motor. I turn a lot of bowls. Oneway makes a good lathe, but no sliding headstock.

robo hippy
I think you will be pretty happy with any of those choices. I would add this to the mix but only cause I love my set up.

At one point you could get a setup like this for $700.

pinky said: