Little hand saws, New York saw co., Fulton Saw
what would the saws be used for why the smaller size. bought these little saws at yard sale both had nice looking handles,(one is cracked multiple places appears would glue up good) and was able to make out an etch on each blade. there total length is 18in. both have Warranted Superior saw medallions.
one etch says New York saw works no. 54. other saw labeled Fulton Saw for mechanics 8tpi, 11 tpi.

The shorter saws were referred to as panel saws. Because they were shorter they were easier to fit into a toolbox to take to the job. Mostly they were crosscut saws with a high TPI count and produced a fine cut. Because they were short it is rare that one would be sharpened rip, usually a much courser and longer cut.

The New York Saw company I believe was out of Jamestown New York, western part of the state south of Buffalo.

The Fulton saw was from Boston, I have a couple of their backsaws, which are great saws, hefty and a great feel to their handles.

I am not sure if Fulton was a hardware store or a manufacturer, I am sure others will know.

Good luck with the saws,
Rick
"You can't always get what you want"
Panel saws are great, and I'll bet those will clean up nicely. (That tote could be fixed pretty easily, I think.) I use my panel saws all the time.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Fulton was a Sears brand, IIRC.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
RoundToit said:

The Fulton saw was from Boston, I have a couple of their backsaws, which are great saws, hefty and a great feel to their handles.

I'm fairly certain Fulton saws were made by CE Jennings. The Fulton backsaws you mentioned have a distinct handle shape that's identical to the shape of Jennings saws. I've had a few full size Fulton saws come through here as well. Those were very similar to CE Jennings handsaws I've seen.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

found another saw, this one is a disston and works far better than the other two..even with bad handle and had far more crud on the plate. the etch has large D with 8 inside blade length 20 in 12 tpi. the medallion hard to see with poor quality picture has date on medallion Dec.27 1887 this saw really cant be that old the screws don't seem to match up.