end grain cutting board
I would like to use my scrap birch and alder wood to make some end grain cutting boards. I can not find anything about the use of alder wood in the making of the cutting boards. Is it good and safe to use this wood?
Alder is safe enough to use

It is not terribly hard however certainly not as hard as your birch.

If they are more decorative or for bread I would say it is fine.

For a meat butcher I would pass
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Welcome aboard "northman", it is a great place to hang out and learn.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks for the information. Oak and birch will have to do.
Nice to see a new poster.
Just how far north are you, man.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
JGrout said:

Alder is safe enough to use

It is not terribly hard however certainly not as hard as your birch.

If they are more decorative or for bread I would say it is fine.

For a meat butcher I would pass

White birch would be about an even match for red alder in a board. Not for chopping, as mentioned, but perfectly useful as a bread/cutting board. Make two distinctive patterns, one for foods to be eaten fresh - veggies, one for food eaten cooked - meats. Grain on both woods close enough to slow penetration of blood and such, but wipe with bleach solution between uses good idea.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
northman said:

Thanks for the information. Oak and birch will have to do.

Cutting boards that are intended to get used to cut meat are made from closed pore woods. Birch would be a good choice, but not oak, especially if it's red oak. Traditional woods would include, maple, beech, cherry, etc. As mentioned, however, if the intended use is for bread or other dry products, you could use any wood that appeals to you.

John
North of the 54.
West/central Saskatchewan.
Nice to get good information on the different kinds of wood.
Thanks.
Maple, cherry, and walnut make for some nice color contrasts too!
Benny