Gas Fireplace howling in wind
We are finishing our basement and starting to pay attention to the gas fireplace that I just got hooked up. It's an Empire vented heating model, with about 18000 BTU output. The flue and firebox were placed when the house was built, and we just let it sit there for the last year and a half.

My question is about the wind. I can hear it howl when it is blowing. I can't find anywhere it is leaking, and combustion air comes from outside (pipe in a pipe). Is this normal?

Full disclosure - my flue is almost 40' long and sticks above ground something like 34'. I am on a hill with no trees around.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It is most likely just the "whistle effect" of a pipe getting a lot of air. Cover the top on a windy day and see if it goes away.

Hold a candle around the outside of the fireplace and the joints of the pipe you can see and note if there are any drafts.

My pipe whistles something terrible with a South wind. With a fire in the stove it goes away.
There isn't enough money in the whole world to get me up there.
Mike

I think you will have to do something to interrupt the air flow around the cap to stop the effect. Hell, if the wind is blowing the right direction, my the soffet over my front porch has a howl (or maybe it's a moan).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'd be getting ahold of the GC that built the house and busting his chips until it's fixed.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

that was me.....
Mike

The whistling noise can come from the gas supply line, if an incorrect flexible tubing connector was used.

linky
No, it's not on when this happens.
Mike

I know.
Blackhat

You built a whistle. Unless its really objectionable or impacts the operation of the fireplace, live with it.
Blackhat