replacement screw for combination square????
Around 12 years ago, I bought a good quality combination square set with 3 heads. I believe I paid about 125 for the set.

Each head comes with its own screw, spring and nut, of course.

Now, twice within an hour, the thing fell on concreate, shearing off the little protruding piece that holds the ruler in place.

I'd absolutely hate to throw this otherwise flawless set out. Does anybody know if these are standard, and where just the screws can be bought?

Thank you!

Dietrich
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
Depending on the brand of your square, the screws may be available. I'd check the manufacturer's website. Starrett's term is "lock bolt assembly": they're here.

If lock bolts to fit yours are not available, you can modify a bolt of the correct thread by cutting a notch in it, then cutting to length and grinding to shape. I've done that with an angle grinder to fix inexpensive squares.

Also, if the square was dropped, you should check that it still locks down accurately square. If it does not, the reference points where the rule touches can be carefully filed to bring it back into spec.
One of the home machinist magazines a few months back had a guy who improved his inexpensive square. I think he saw a Hardened Screw as a key enhancement to making it work nicely. Wish I could remember more specifics....
Chris
Dietrich...check your PM's..I sent a link...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

A picture of the broken part would help with advise on a repair. Replacement might be easiest. I'm pretty sure they can be rescued.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Brand would also be good. I happen to have a stash of screws for Starters.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Ooops, that was supposed to be Starretts.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

Ooops, that was supposed to be Starretts.

Works either way.