Japanology Sashimono woodworking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vJ11cXLs4
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

With all the people in Japan I had no idea it was 70% forested. That blind mitered DT went together tighter than a zip lock bag. I took a deep breath when he tapped it closed I thought it was funny he was calling them mortises, and tenons, guess I had never thought of a DT like that.

post Jack
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I just finished watching it. Very interesting during the woodworking parts. Thanks for posting.
Quote:

With all the people in Japan I had no idea it was 70% forested.

That surprised the heck outta me also, Steve....I found it hard to believe, knowing how small the land mass is. I flew over part it a couple of times on R&R, many years ago and it looked like just rice paddies...and mountains... And I visited the largest Pagoda in Kyoto and remember being very impressed with the gardens and woodwork. Of course, Marines were not overly popular with the indigenous peoples at the time!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Very nice video, thanks for that Jack!
Skip

Steve N said:

With all the people in Japan I had no idea it was 70% forested.

I lived in Misawa, Japan (northern tip of the main island, Honshu) when my father was stationed there in the Air Force. It didn't take long to get to the mountains, and they were heavily forested. In fact, a mountain range splits nearly the entire main island down the middle. The really big cities are very large metro areas, which kind of gives you the impression it's all metropolitan. In fact, most of the land area is small, agricultural villages. The smaller islands (Hokkaido, Shikoku, Kyushu) are far less urban. We used to take picnic lunches to a place called Lake Towada, which was a lake formed from the collapse of a volcano. Kind of like Crater Lake in the US. Gorgeous, beautiful, pristinely maintained land. Granted, it was '65-'68 when I was there, but the northern part of Japan loved Americans, and most Americans then very much treated Japanese with a lot of respect.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Was stationed at Kadena AB Okinawa and went to Japan many times/

I found that they had a GREAT reverence to wood and working with wood and people who work with it.

Being a Master in any woodworking takes decades to do.

If I would have had a carving that had taken the gentleman 3 years to carve and he only charged $300 back when the yen was 300 to the dollar. Now I wished I had borrowed the money.

The carving was 3D and of people, farms, mountains and water. It was fantastic and I do believe it would cost 10K or better now to buy or even have.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.