Which pin nailer?
My porter cable 1 3/8" model leaves too many pins proud in soft maple. Any make and model recommendations? I want a pin nailer that won't shoot proud for shop work; nailing trim to built-ins, face frames to cabinets etc... My boss has one we use at job sites so I'm fine with the smaller capacity 1 3/8" but larger capacity also fine. Just looking to adequately sink 1 1/4" in hardwood face frames.
Look at the Bosch post below.
Excellent tool, nearly Grex level.
I have shot tons of all size pins in both hardwood and softwood. Sinks them every time without a jam.
Buy the Grex pins tho.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Are we talking 18 GA. or 23 GA. ? Which model do you now have and have you checked all the adjustments? How's your pressure gauge?
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I have a 1" 23 gage PC pin nailer that has no trouble sinking 1" pins in maple, etc., usually at well less than 90 psi gun inlet. But if I were buying a new one I'd probably get a Grex.

John
If you want a good one, go ahead and follow the advice you get. But even the cheapest should set the brads or pins at or below the surface when set correctly. With a cheap enough nailer, that's done by adjusting the air pressure.
ANY pin nailer requires a certain "minimum" air pressure to properly drive the pins, and differs somewhat from one brand to another. Sounds to me like either the nailer or technique needs some attention.
Mike

Do not get an HF if you are shooting more than 1" pins. It's a good general purpose one - really cheap - but not for longer pins.

Don't know about any one else.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Assuming your issue is not repairable, I recommend a Grex. It will drive 3/8" to 2" pins with a small air compressor that does 125 psi.
I would like to chime in on this one.

When it comes to 23ga, buy the highest quality pins you can find. I buy Cadex or Senco .. The cheapest chinese pins are often blunt, causing them to bend or not sink in ..

The power of the nailer is simple.. Diameter of the piston and PSI . A cheap $30 nailer could easily sink pins better than the most expensive nailer.. but low grade 23ga pins can make a Grex or even a better gun look like crap ..
My Grex 23 ga pin nailer has never balked at any size pin used. In fact, if the pressure is set too high, it'll drive pins all the way through to the other side of the board. There's a bit of an art to using a pin nailer correctly. You really have to pay attention to the grain. Pins often follow the grain. I always do a test run on similar wood before I commit to using it on finish trim and mouldings.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill