Anyone use the Penn State Duplicator?
I want to make several chess sets for Christmas. My turning skills are poor at best, so I was looking at the Penn State Duplicator HERE . I plan on putting it on a Jet mini lathe.
Does anyone have experience using this duplicator? How difficult is it to set up? How hard to keep in position? Has anyone made a chess set using their templates and this duplicator?

I appreciate any response as Christmas is only six weeks away!!!!
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Joe

It does work but it is best for roughing out the piece and only work it down hill. I had one when I first turned and got PSIs lathe and I wish I still had it.

I do think they have the templetes for chess sets on their website to fit it too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Joe
Bought a duplicator for my previous lathe. Worse piece of crap I had ever owned. Returned it and started using calipers, much better. Seeing it is a Penn State duplicator, I certainly wouldn't expect too much from it. In my opinion most of Penn State stuff is crap. Get some caliper and practice, you will be much happier. It is what I use for salt and pepper mill sets and also candle sticks.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks guys. I will follow your advice. (thought it was too good to be true)
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Joe,
I've tried one of the PSI duplicators and was disappointed. I now own one of the Vega Midi Lathe Duplicator and use it on my Jet Mini Lathe and it works great. I upgraded to the carbide cutter and while the upgrade wasn't needed, it does work faster on straight grained wood. The original HSS cutter still has less vibration on burl and wild-grained woods.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I have one that I use on my Jet Midi and I have to agree with the other replies that it is best for roughing, but being a retired tool and die repairman I made other tooling inserts and it works much better now.