Handle for McNaughton Center Saver
Hello all

I have tried to find the handle online, but with no success.

I guess that I will have to make my own.

Has anyone done this? Are there other available handles or locking ferrules that will accommodate the flat tangs of these cutters?

Thanks
I know I bought a handle some years back....... I just don't recall from who

Because the head of the handle, to make the blades swapable, would have to be metal, if I was doing my own I would be tempted to make a separate handle for each blade.

I know the handles today (MK-8) are smaller then the handles of "yore". Actually I don't use the handle for the regular set at all, but instead I use the handle off the smaller set. Which appears to be the size of the handle now shipping with the Mk8

I know some of the "pros" use no handle at all, they just hold the blade perfectly right and have no issues.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I would think you could use any of the handles that you can insert and remove different turning tools. If they can be used, you need one that will accept the diameter (or height of the flat tang) of the McNaughton cutters. I have the McNaughton and it has a bit of heft to it, which is good considering the amount of force being put on it. Doug Thompson sells handles. You may want to contact him and see if his handles will work; he's a good guy to deal with.
In the Dale Bonertz video he states that he makes his own as he feels the stock handles are just too heavy and cumbersome. Unfortunately, that's about as far he goes with it, other than showing them in the video.
Steve K

I would think you could get them, or sections of them from Craft Supplies. Any circular handle with set screws will work if the tang fits. The longer handle on the McNaughton has different sized holes on either end, as well as the 2 set screws. Mike Mahoney said he cut his handles in half. I do like the longer handles, just habit.

robo hippy
I think that the Kelton tool handles will work, but you could verify that with Kelton/McNaughton.
Kelton Tool Handles
Kelton Ultimate Handle
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The Kelton tool handles in the first link are the ones. All of mine came with the coring system, but they fit my Kelton hollowing tools, and I have inserts for the smaller ones. Not too difficult to fabricate if you want. If you have D Way handles, or the Oneway handles, I think they will probably work too.

robo hippy