New cordless drill - but which one? - REVISITED
As a follow up to my previous post, I would like to thank everyone for their input

Doing more research, I found a Porter Cable set (drill & impact) for $159 at Amazon. It is the PCCK602L2 20V set.

The reviews on Amazon look good. My current drill is a Porter Cable 14V and has been (and still is) a good one. My problem is the batteries are on their last legs and need to be rebuilt again.

I just checked current rebuild prices at MTO (where I went before) and for two rebuilds and shipping it would be $126.03 and that includes a November 10% off special. That is 79.2% of the cost of the setup referenced above (which also includes the impact), so going new seems to be a no-brainer.

So, any input? Any one have any experience with this package?
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
My number one thought about ANY lithium cordless tool listed as being 20v is total BS. There is no mathematical way to build an array of equal 1.2v or 3.6v lithium cells to total 20v. It's complete marketing rubbish. Not that inherently there is something wrong with the drill but know what you really have is an 18v tool. DeWalt and Craftsman play along with the 20v game too.

Number two is the famous brand "Porter Cable," known for making quality industrial grade tools is no more. It has become a consumer grade sheep in wolfs clothing marketed to weekend warriors. Again, not meaning the tool will not work but is it designed for regular periods of heavy usage? That is what the warranty is for, right? The most probable outcome is you will be denied for product neglect. I would wait for a Black Friday sale at Home Depot to check for a similar Milwaukee set.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Yup no such thing as 20v cordless tools. They use the same type and number of cells that all other 12v tools use. In fact those cells are most likely the most common cell made in the world as they are used in everything from portable cellphone chargers to laptops to tesla cars... It's an 18650 cell super common.
PC wouldn't be my first, second, or even third choice for a drill, but I don't mind spending the money to get a truly industrial grade drill. Seems like you're on a limited budget, so if you've been happy with your current PC, then the new one will be a step up.

As far as 20V not being real, that's true, but most folks now are citing the spec for peak voltage and not continuous or steady state voltage. What we do know is 20V > 14V. Maybe the battery cells are common in most Li-Ion drills, but I would say that test after test shows differences between drills from different manufacturers. In one national woodworking magazine test, the top drill was able to knock out more than 3x screws in hard maple vs. the lower end of the competition. Must be more than just the efficiency of the motor.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
MTO does a great job, should you decide to go in that direction. I've used them, like 'em.

Having said that, based on my experience I would look at Bosch, Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee in no particular order. I have models of the first three and am pleased with them all. Have a Milwaukee hammer drill that does the job as well as a SCMS that I would buy again.

You can't go wrong with your favorite model of these brands IMHO.

Good luck,

Doug
I'll second (or third or fourth now) the advice to avoid PC. I have their 333 ROS and a 890 router both bought within the last five or six years and am underwhelmed with both. Both had defects appear within months of very light use.

By and large I am sticking with Bosch for new power tools, but that is a personal thing.

Also, I used MTO to rebuild batteries on old cordless Dewalt and Craftsman drills. Very happy with them, and now that you've told me about the November special will do so again. It'll be the second rebuild for the batteries as everything else works just fine on those drills and I see no need to toss them in a landfill. Plus the Crafstman powers a set with a circular saw, recip saw and a couple of other things and would rather not replace all of them.

Mike
I've used MTO in the past and was satisfied. I think I will give them another try. Thanks for the heads-up on the November sale.
At that price go check your local home depot clearance shelf Around here I have seen the M18 drill and impact non fuel for $200 with the XC. They just recently had a M18 Fuel Hammer Drill for $220 with the 4 Amp hour batteries. I just bought a pair of 5 M18 XC Amp hour for $200 this summer. If the product does not move they discount it. Milwaukee now has the 5 & 6 Amp hour batteries. Black Friday is a great time to buy, they actually have the displays up now. Dan
Just checked MTO and at $75 (before 10% Nov special) for rebuilding a 18V battery that is pushing it price wise to me. You guys think that is a good deal?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.