Wood choice for new kitchen doors, to be painted...
Wood choice for new kitchen doors, to be painted...

I am going to make some new kitchen doors, and they will be painted. What material would be a good choice (best choice) for the doors. I am assuming poplar or maple...but other than cost, is one better than the other if I am going to prime and paint them?

As for maple, hard or soft or does it matter?

If not poplar or maple, what else might I choose? Don't like the idea of MDF, cutting and working it is a mess.
Marc
Sun City, AZ
I would use whichever maple you can buy cheaper. Poplar is easier to work, but it's a lot softer and will dent far more easily. If you want flat panels I would use MDF. I know you said you don't like it, but it's very stable and paints beautifully. It's also cheap. If you are going to make raised panels then I'd use maple (although MDF works great for that, too), and I'd at least prime them before assembly. I'd also tint the primer close to the final color.

John
If I make Shaker style, could I use MDF for the panel portion and maple for the sides and top? Any reason not to? I could cut the panels to size in my garage using my track saw, and not have to do it in my basement, where my table saw is.
Marc
Sun City, AZ
Paladin said:

If I make Shaker style, could I use MDF for the panel portion and maple for the sides and top? Yes. And you can glue the panels into the door frames; they will be very strong. Any reason not to? No. FWIW, I'd use 1/2"; the door just feels a lot more substantial. I could cut the panels to size in my garage using my track saw, and not have to do it in my basement, where my table saw is. That's a good plan.

John
this is exactly how I do it . whatever wood I find the best price between poplar and maple then use 1/2" mdf for the panel. I also glue the panel all around and it makes up a good feeling nice looking painted door. I have tried thinner mdf and ply and it just doesn't have the right feel, the 1/2" mdf works best. With a dc and ts there is just not that much dust but if you have another way you like better go for it.
Poplar is perfect, for paint grade doors. Maple is great and more expensive with no more advantages.
Never Give Up

We use quartersawn hard maple. Tough and stable, paints up the best. I'd use plain sawn hard maple if you can't find the quartersawn.

Forget the poplar, the savings isn't worth it. It's much softer, telegraphs grain, tends toward fuzziness, and warps more. For the panels we use medex or whatever moisture resistant mdf product we can source.