Advice on saw set & files
I have just started to sharpen my own saws, and I now need a saw set and some additional saw files. So, two questions:

1. I'm curious to know if, as with some other tools, used vintage is better than new. Or are the new ones out there (and reasonably priced at Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood, etc.) sufficient for my needs?

2. Are there particular saw files I should track down? I thought I read somewhere that the quality of files varies widely.

Thanks!
Used vintage saw sets are better, depending on which you get. My favorite is the Stanley 42X. They are plentiful. Post a WTB on SnS and you'll likely get an offer to sell.

As far as saw files go, I think Grobet makes the best ones now. They can be ordered from multiple sources. If you can find new old stock US files like Simmonds, Nicholson (Made in USA), and Heller, those are good as well. Most of what's sold at the hardware stores are horrible.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I bought a couple old sets off EBay couldn't figure out how to make one of them work and the other was a piece of junk.

I got both coarse and fine from LV they are ok work fine.
I got my files from Lie Nielsen.
You might find the information on the link below to be helpful. There are some good file manufacturers out there. I settled on Bahco, they got good reviews and I've found them to be readily available on some websites and pretty good prices. saw file comparison
WalterB
The Eclipse 77 is another good choice in vintage saw sets. Both the 77 and 42x need a little shaping of the hammer for teeth finer then 14ppi.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
porchguy said:

I settled on Bahco, they got good reviews and I've found them to be readily available on some websites and pretty good prices.

Can you share your sources for Bahco files? I tried to buy some a couple of months ago, but the three or four sites I checked were out of stock. I like the performance of old Nicholson, Heller, Johnson, and Red Tang files, but they are getting hard to find since most of these were made 50+ years ago. I want to try the Bahco files since I have read good reviews on them as well.

For saw sets, the Stanley 42X is a good all-around tool, while the Millers Falls No 214 is excellent for the larger teeth on rip saws.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Everybody likes the 42x which are available but command a higher price, but for saws 10pt or less, the Stanley 42 is my preferred saw set; I have one of both, along with an Eclipse. So it depends on what you're sharpening; for a 'standard' 8pt handsaw, I'd go with a 42. MF makes a good set for the larger teeth as well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I got the ones that I have through Amazon.

I've found that some are also available from Motion Industries (they do have a website and store locations all over the US), and the prices look to be competitive.
WalterB