The 6 joint box???
I seem to vaguely recall seeing a plan or article a few years ago regarding a box that was a 'beginner level' project. The gist was that each corner was a different joint, the box bottom was another, and the lip was the 6th. I have a customer who wanted a basic beginner project for all hand tools, and thought this would be a good one for him.

Trying to recall;
corner 1: dovetails
corner 2: finger joints
corner 3: splined miter
corner 4: ???
bottom: just a dado, IIRC
top: half lap for a tight slip fit??

I'm sure I have some of that wrong. Anyone else recall this project? Did any of you save the article and could pass it on?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
If your customer is a beginner, I would suggest making a regular dovetailed box or something like that. You get better at joinery with practice, and it’s better to do some repetition when you’re a beginner.

I remember my first dovetailed box. You could see how my dovetails got better as you turned the box around.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
Keyed miter? One of the easiest and still handsome, because the uninitiated will think dovetail or box joint, but you can do wraparound grain with the miter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQDW2SKzkhU
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Wilbur Pan said:

I remember my first dovetailed box. You could see how my dovetails got better as you turned the box around.

This is true of every dovetailed box I do!
clydeone said:

[blockquote]Wilbur Pan said:

This is true of every dovetailed box I do!

[/blockquote]

+1
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
My suggestion would be a series of small boxes instead of one box with different joints at each corner.

The layout to handle different joints at each corner may be more than somebody just starting can absorb.

All boxes should be built with a final purpose in mind. This seems to help cement the planning process if you have a specific (concrete!?!) goal in mind.

The tool complexity can be kept VERY low if you do all the rabbets and grooves with saws and chisels. But adding in any combination of router plane, rabbet plane and plow plane makes it fun too.

A possible progression...

Box 1: Rabbeted ends w/ plywood bottom glued into rabbet. No lid, just 5 sides
Box 2: Rabbeted ends but now with grooves for fitting solid bottom. Bottom can be rabbetted to fit grooves or beveled. Lid can be made the same way. Lid is a slip-fit, hinges come in #3
Box 3: Rabbeted ends OR mitered with keys. Build box as single 6-sided object and then use fine saw to separate for lid. Add hinges & the mortising steps. Make bigger and perhaps add a lock and a lift out tray.
Box 4: Through dovetails, sort of big ones. Bottom & lid like #2 or #3. Good opportunity for learning some pre-planing during layout if you also saw apart the lid.
Box 5: Finer dovetails, mitering the corners to conceal the groove that hold the bottom and makes top look nicer.
Box 6: Lapped blind dovetails, sometimes called rabbeted dovetails. One step before going full blind (and this is one I should practice, I've never been satisfied enough to show my results... )
Box 7 : Full blind mitered dovetails. May be a boring looking box because if done right, it will just look like a mitered joint. Maybe add some inlay to celebrate.

Etc. Each box adds one or maybe two skills.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Are you talking about Ron's Joinery Challenge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdRHlwB__4

Sold at Shop Wooworking. Ron is also hooked up with Chuck, and Glen at 360woodworking they may have rights to his past work????? If you are a member check there first.

Beside that I got Bupkus
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks guys, I'll keep looking. I recall specifically that it was a box. The lid was pretty cool.

MM, mitered spline might have been the one I was missing.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Post it back here when you find it, might be something folks would want to know about.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
It looks like one of the classes at Middle Bucks Institute of Technology in PA had a six joint box as one of their class assignments. It looks like the instructor was named Rogers.

Sadly, that is where my google-fu quit on me.

I do hope that you find it and report back.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.