Adding a second light fixture to an existing circuit
So here is my situation :

I have a stairway that has a light fixture at the bottom of the stairs. There is a switch at both the top and at the bottom of the stairs that controls this fixture.

I would like to add a second fixture at the top of the stairs, but the only wiring that I think that I can access is the switch at the top of the stairs.

I want to wire the circuit so that both switches control both fixtures simultaneously.

Thanks
If there are only two switches, then you have a 50-50 shot at it being the one with the load conductors on it. Open it up and take a look at what's in there. Or open the bottom one. If it has just a 3-conductor cable into it, then you're in luck. Assuming you want the top one to tap into.

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Yep. Need to pull the cover off and find out how many wires come into it. Ideally one of those will have a three wire and a two wire Romax cable coming into the box. The other one will likely either have less or more than that amount unless it is last in line. It depends on the way your house is wired.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I will check it out.
I have both covers off already as I am painting that wall.

Pics to follow...
Dusty Workshop said:

I will check it out.
I have both covers off already as I am painting that wall.

Pics to follow...

The best way to dope that circuit out is to not get involved in guess work but to find out which of the three boxes involved has the HOT leg ( the wire that's HOT no matter what switch is thrown and it "might" be nutted to another wire ). You'll need to pull the switches and or drop the light fixture looking for it.

Do you have a test light or multi-meter? Comfortable checking this out with the breaker on?
I think that all that's needed is a new cable run connecting the new light fixture to the existing one. No re-wiring of switches needed so long as the two fixtures will work as one. But, you say that the only wire you can access is at the top switch. So, maybe that is not a solution.
I stand corrected.

Just pull the switch at the top of the stairs. If the odd colored screw is not HOT all the time then it's the switch leg and you can tap off of that for your new light.

If it is HOT all the time then the switch leg is towards to the bottom of the stairs, likely at the the light and you'd need to run a wire from there.
Yes running a line from the existing fixture to the new one is not an option.

I fear that the hot leg is going to be on the downstairs switch, because that switch is next to another that is part of another circuit /fixture downstairs.
It would seem to make sense that the hot legs for the 2 different circuits would be together in that dual box , but I guess stranger things have happened.
If the hot leg is on the downstairs switch then the the switch leg is on the switch at the top of the stairs but it's unlikely there would be a neutral there for your new light. Either way it's an ouch.
Sounds like I might have to set up a new circuit with a new switch for the new fixture at the top of the stairs.
This would be better than nothing.