YC-8J replacement belts?
What's a good source of replacement belt for a Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer? I believe it's the same as a DJ-20.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Napa, take your old one down, and have them match it up to a knew one.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

paarker said:

Napa, take your old one down, and have them match it up to a knew one.

Cool, thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Or try the red link belts.
WoodTinker
WoodTinker said:

Or try the red link belts.

Funny you should say that. I bought some years back because of all the praise. Then was told (on the forum) that link belts are a no-go. Anyone know why the controversy?
Best,
Aram, always learning

I don't know what was being said back then, but there's usually a disagreement on using link belts on machines that have more than one belt. The argument goes that you should only use matched sets when you have paired belts. There is another wrinkle on this, I was told for years by our power train engineers that you don't use link belts on multiple belt drives. The reason being that the belts set in over time, and 2 belts will never wind up the same length, Kinda makes sense if you think about it. Anyway, back to the matched belts....that was true many years ago, but the new belt manufacturing procedures are so good I no longer worry about matched sets as long as I buy trusted brands (Goodyear, Gates, etc.). For the link belts, I still don't like using them in sets...but I did contact Fenner about it. They said it's perfectly OK to use link belts in multi belt drives, they equalize in lebgth after a short run time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

I don't know what was being said back then, but there's usually a disagreement on using link belts on machines that have more than one belt. The argument goes that you should only use matched sets when you have paired belts. There is another wrinkle on this, I was told for years by our power train engineers that you don't use link belts on multiple belt drives. The reason being that the belts set in over time, and 2 belts will never wind up the same length, Kinda makes sense if you think about it. Anyway, back to the matched belts....that was true many years ago, but the new belt manufacturing procedures are so good I no longer worry about matched sets as long as I buy trusted brands (Goodyear, Gates, etc.). For the link belts, I still don't like using them in sets...but I did contact Fenner about it. They said it's perfectly OK to use link belts in multi belt drives, they equalize in lebgth after a short run time.

Thanks! Looks like I'm set.
Best,
Aram, always learning

link belts are fine for single sheave applications.

it is the use on multi sheave units that caused the red flags...

In your case it will be just fine......

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy