Union 5 1/4C Plane
What I thought I was buying: a Stanley 5 1/4C with a Union iron.

What I actually got: a 5 1/4C made by the Union Plane Company.

As Don Wilwol pointed out, Stanley bought the plane manufacturing activities of the Union Manufacturing Company in 1920 and the Stanley 5 1/4 debuted in 1921. Therefore, it is quite likely that Stanley sold a version of one of their rarest planes under the Union name, making it arguably even more scarce than the Stanley version. The bed is not simply an unmarked Stanley since the frog bed is more like the earlier Union planes. The plane number is also on the nose, whereas Stanleys of this area were on the tail. It appears to be a wholly Union version of what it generally believed to be a Stanley plane model.

Note that the name on the iron is "Union Plane Co" and not "Union Mfg Co", which is also an indication that it was produced after the Stanley purchase.

There is only a small amount of information available on Union Manufacturing Company, including only a single catalog edition (1903) that I am aware of. There is even less information available on the Union Plane Company. Roger K. Smith mentioned it in a few sentences in PTMPIA vol. 1, though that was referring to a plough plane made by Siegley for the company. There is no mention of smoothing planes or other tools.

If anyone has access to old Union Mfg catalogs or Stanley catalogs that include Union Plane tools or can point out other resources that will help to fill in the blanks, please share.

Comments?

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
My only "On topic" comment is: Nice Plane! I love those old Unions with their thick blades.

Potentially off-topic: Union in some planes used a basic screw on the totes, with a tapered head. At its worst, it could split the wood. At its best, I think Lie Nielsen chose to do the same.... comments?
Chris
The only thing I see wrong with that plane is cosmetic - and it's in the hands of a very capable restorer. I look forward to seeing it when you finish with it.

r2
I like it! And it looks in pretty darn fine condition. I mean, aside from the obligatory paint spatter! Geez,...what is it with paint splatter and hand planes?

I'm a huge fan of Union planes. Especially from the time before and just shortly after they were bought out by Stanley. I had a sweet little No3 come into my hands several years back and it had all the trademarks of an early Stanley but without the tell tale Stanley markings. It also had a super thick plane iron that IIRC had "UNION" on it. It cleaned up real nice and is now in the hands of some lucky WoodNetter (can't remember who).

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I'm a fan of Union planes and have several. I've never seen or heard of a #5 1/4c. I plan to look through some of my ephemera and see what I can find.
I'm not a big Union collector, but I snagged this Union #8 at an auction recently. I couldn't pass it up. I also own a Union #2 with japanned sides. Asked lots of people about it, and no one has ever seen one. The consensus is that it was likely a special order. And it's from old Union, prior to the Stanley take over.

Matt

" />