Impostor Syndrome
Anybody else feel a little strange making that first big sale when you started trying to get this hobby to pay for itself? Like, what if they find out that I'm just some schmo with a lathe in his garage, not some established master who apprenticed on a mountaintop with a one-armed Jedi bowl turner.

I know even the pros had to start somewhere, and people only buy what they think is worth it, but knowing that doesn't make the weird feeling go away. Just me? Does it eventually pass?
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
yes, it passes 6 months from now when you haven't sold anything else despite trying hard to do so.
I do not know how you feel because I was trained by a one-armed Jedi bowl turner.

Really I have only sold two times and did pretty well both times but that is because I was in a wheelchair both times and they asked why so that helped I think.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
imapseudonym said:

Anybody else feel a little strange making that first big sale when you started trying to get this hobby to pay for itself? Like, what if they find out that I'm just some schmo with a lathe in his garage, not some established master who apprenticed on a mountaintop with a one-armed Jedi bowl turner.

I know even the pros had to start somewhere, and people only buy what they think is worth it, but knowing that doesn't make the weird feeling go away. Just me? Does it eventually pass?

You're signing your work, right? Every piece sold, donated or given as a present becomes an advertisement when you do. Also shows you are not a pretender, but your own turner. You never know what might happen if someone sees it. I remember calls from Japan, where a couple-three of my pieces traveled, requesting a box with six more, and a special piece or two.

The Methodists get raffle donations and produce secondary customers, but the ones I donate to the fire department are utility only, and don't bring many followups. Might, someday.

Lutherans are somewhere in between, and artists only want to trade work.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I do sign (currently still using a Sharpie after failed experiments with a cheapo woodburning tool and a borrowed dremel engraver). I also include a business card so anyone going through their trash will know how to contact me

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
You'd be surprised how many "pros" work out of their garage, or in very, very modest shops. I don't make a living at this, by a long stretch, but I do sell on occasion. It's a nice feeling.

I did find it kind of ironic that "imapseudonym" was posting something about imposters.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yes, the feeling passes. And as long as you signing the pieces and not representing them as another turners work there is no need for the feeling at all.
When I started, I was already doing flat work. Sold a big piece for me, and bought a lathe. I kept prices down as they were kind of coarse, but I have gotten better. Just think of the new toys you can buy...

robo hippy
Hold on to being an "amateur" for as long as you can. It's root meaning is "one who loves". Also, love those first customers that see the beauty of your work.
Excellent advice so far. Thanks all.