What is everyone doing for shovel, rake etc. storage?
I bought a product very much like these at Lowes several years ago (I don't think they carry them anymore), and they worked out really well, hold 3 to 5 tools each if you hang them right and depending on the tool (rakes, maybe 5, shovels, 3), very stout:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/5051482/Heav...wall-hooks

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
comfun1 said:

Once upon a time, I thought I had a good idea for my shovel, rake, D-handle tools, post hole digger, hoes etc. I fastened a 2x4 to my wall and screwed lag bolts in to it to hold the assorted tools. The trouble is it is taking up a whole wall in my shop and I could use that wall space for something else like shelves or a work bench. I know you guys are creative and I am hoping some of you will have suggestions I can use or hybridize. Thanks.

How often do you use those tools?

I seldom use such tools. A shovel a couple times a year and a rake once a year. I have disposed of my other tools. If I need a tool, I will buy new and dispose of it after I am done.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
those double hooks are what I use. Right now, since the shed is in the planning stages, they are in the garage. The only issue is that I have my hand cart hanging on there, so it makes it hard to remove any of the tools. I'm thinking of having a small auxiliary shed hanging off of the main shed just to hold tools. I do actually use them quite a bit, between the dogs, voles, and trees.
GHR said:

[blockquote]comfun1 said:

Once upon a time, I thought I had a good idea for my shovel, rake, D-handle tools, post hole digger, hoes etc. I fastened a 2x4 to my wall and screwed lag bolts in to it to hold the assorted tools. The trouble is it is taking up a whole wall in my shop and I could use that wall space for something else like shelves or a work bench. I know you guys are creative and I am hoping some of you will have suggestions I can use or hybridize. Thanks.

I seldom use such tools. A shovel a couple times a year and a rake once a year. I have disposed of my other tools. If I need a tool, I will buy new and dispose of it after I am done.

[/blockquote]

Using this theory may explain why every year all the Home centers run out of snow shovels so much. Throw aways. I have the same snow shovel for the last 10 years and it does snow in NJ.
John T.
I keep my garden tools beside the garden in a 3 foot square outhouse. It looks just like an old time outhouse complete with a half moon opening in the door. Saves me having to walk back and forth to the garage.
WoodNET... the new safespace
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

[blockquote]GHR said:

[blockquote]comfun1 said:

[/blockquote]

Using this theory may explain why every year all the Home centers run out of snow shovels so much. Throw aways. I have the same snow shovel for the last 10 years and it does snow in NJ.

[/blockquote]
I use my spade as a snow shove.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
I have 1/4" pegboard on the storage walls in my garage. Most outside tools are hung from 6" or 8" heavy-duty (3/16" wire) straight pegboard hooks.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardware-81-9645-Straight-Pegboard/dp/B00PJ9H0D2/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1447885570&sr=1-5&keywords=4"+Heavy+Duty+Straight+pegboard+hooks]http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardware-8...+pegboard+hooks[/url]

I straighten the hook on the end, drill a 5/16" hole near the end of the handle of each tool, and hang the tools from the handles. There's room for 3 or 4 tools on most of the hooks.
12" wide, 24" deep and 60" tall box screwed to the wall of my garage, vertical. Box has a bottom so long handle things go in handle first and the business end sticks out of the top of the box. Axes, godevils, ads, stuff with short handles get placed inside the box but the head hangs on the top edge of the box. It takes up virtually no room horizontally and I can see and find everything I need. Of all the ways to store those things this takes up the least about of floor or wall space.
Long-handled tools fit well in a section of Sonotube form.

Dave
Chris S said:

[blockquote]meackerman said:

Yes this. Garden tools take up lots and lots of space on a wall. They will compact very nicely in one of these.

[/blockquote]

Can't seem to find that on sale online... got a link?
Benny