Need some help with African Blackwood
I'm trying to make a tray for a jewelry box and I'm using what I was told is African Blackwood. The issue t g at I'm having is that it is splintering to beat the band. I've tried using a small miter box and even a jeweler's saw, but it keeps splintering at the bottom. Any tips?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Are you sure that it's not wenge? Wenge certainly fits the description for splintering.

r2
lilrichard2 said:

Are you sure that it's not wenge? Wenge certainly fits the description for splintering.
r2

That was my first thought too!

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Put a backer piece underneath and cut. Same approach as when drilling holes. I don't think wrapping the piece with painter's tape will help much.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
lilrichard2 said:

r2

When I first looked at the wood, I thought it was wenge. The guy that was selling it was adamant that it is African Blackwood. The splintering is really bad. Would it help if I make a board with a rabbet for these boards to set in? The splintering is happening in the back.
DaveParkis said:

The splintering is happening in the back.

Japanese saw?

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'll give that a try.
If that just moves the splintering to the front, you might try using a bench hook as a zero-clearance backing.

Or, cut one-third through, turn 90* and cut 1/3 through, turn 90* and cut 1/3 through, turn 90* and finish the cut. Might want to use a very fine tooth coping saw blade for the last cut.

FWIW
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
DaveParkis said:

I'm trying to make a tray for a jewelry box and I'm using what I was told is African Blackwood. The issue t g at I'm having is that it is splintering to beat the band. I've tried using a small miter box and even a jeweler's saw, but it keeps splintering at the bottom. Any tips?

Two methods:

1. Scribe a line, chisel a knife wall, and cut alongside this.

2. Try wrapping the section to be sawn in blue tape, and cut through this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
True Grenadilla has a fine grain pattern like Mesquite.

Splintering isn't common. That said, you should still be able to cut the stuff with an alternate approach.

If it breaks out with any saw, consider carving with a sharp chisel
and using a rasp to get the best fit.

My only concern is that if it splinters when you're careful, what will happen the first time the owner knocks it off the dresser?

It might be best to laminate a piece of fine plywood to the piece both to reduce breakout and offer support after assembly.