Price for some used planes
Local Craig's list (30 miles away) has an ad for a couple planes, no pics, but one is a 60 1/2 Lie Nielsen with extra blade, asking $60, and a Veritas rabbet plane (number unknown; he says blade is 3/4 wide and it is "tall", asking $50. I see LN and Veritas going for almost retail price on ebay but they are usually in near new condition. The seller says these are in "good" condition but they have been users.

So what do "user" LN and Veritas sell for? I do not need either one and would likely put them in S & S.
buy them! I can't imagine not getting 80% of list for either brand and usually more.
pat
T those prices, they'd have to be pretty ugly and rough to not be worth it. I'd be interested in both at those prices.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
If they are at all usable, you should get there ASAP. Those are a couple of great deals if the planes are in decent shape.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
+1, get in your car and leave right now!

I wouldn't care what shape they were in unless cracked or outright broken, they are not old enough to really get buggered beyond rehab, unless they were in a flood or something like that.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What everyone else said.
BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW!

--------------------
"Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."
Thanks for the advice! I went to see the planes and, although the owner would only described them as "in good used condition", they were better than I expected. The Stanley 39 1/2 wasn't in the Craig's List ad. Anyway, he accepted $125 for the three planes and while chatting about his workbench (with round dog holes) he handed me the pair of Veritas square bench dogs for free. Must have felt sorry for me.

Here's the mandatory pic. The Lie Nielson is nicer than the picture shows, just some of the paint rubbed of top edges

And I've been meaning to put in a plug for S&S. I put in a couple WTB ads and this is what came of them:

Veritas BU Jointer, 25% off retail, BU smoother, BU Jointer with fence, and Edge Trimmer all 1/3 off retail and all nearly new.

I've been blessed, and somehow I no longer feel pressed to find stuff rust hunting.
Let me be the first. You Suck!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

Let me be the first. You Suck!!

And Ill be the second. The block plane was a good deal at $125, the shoulder plane, and dado were free!!!! Congrats on a great score.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge