Delta 14" Band Saw motor?
There is a 14" Delta band saw available for sale, model 28-255. It appears to be in excellent condition but the motor is toast. Ballpark, how much would a replacement motor cost? I am clueless in this area so any help would be appreciated
What HP do you want ?
Grizzly has a wide range of motors.
Check them out
The plate says 10.7 amps, so a 1 HP motors seems right. I have never swapped out motors before, don't I have to match frames with the old motor?
I found harbor freight motors to be very economical and put a 3 horse on my 14" band saw along with a riser block so I could resaw panels and veneer many years ago. Still runs good as new.
Mike

Billm302 said:

The plate says 10.7 amps, so a 1 HP motors seems right. I have never swapped out motors before, don't I have to match frames with the old motor?

One horse will do everything up to the unmodified 6.25 capacity. Getting the right frame motor ensures compatibility with the mount.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a 28-245, which is pretty much the same saw. Mine came with a 1/2 HP motor...which was useless, especially after I put the riser block on it. I bought a Grizzly 1 HP motor, and it took all of 15 minutes to install it. If I was to do it over I'd go 1.5 HP; the 1 does the job, but it does go slow on some re-saws. You also might be able to get a used one at a motor shop. If you know the frame size, you're good to go. The rotation needs to be in the correct direction, but many motors are reversible. I bought my motor many years ago, and it 's $150 now. Mine was a 56 frame (open stand saw) but it might pay to check the one you're looking at before you plunk down the cash for the motor.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Billm302 said:

I believe that is a closed stand saw and came with a 1 1/2hp motor, I almost bought one new years ago but got a deal on an open stand model with a 1/2hp. Should have bought the larger one in hindsight.

I'd go 1 1/2 or 2hp and wire it for 220v.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I suppose a chinese motor is ok to use, though I would be looking at a baldor, leeson or marathon if you can find one for a decent cost. You can always look for a used motor, just make sure the mount will be similar to what is already there and the shaft size is the same as the existing motor so you dont have to get a new pulley. Lots of times, cheap older contractor saws will have a good American motor hanging off the end that can be used and they will often be more than 1 hp so you get the advantage of more power. Usually motors can be reversed for rotation as well, but do keep that in mind.
Ballpark? Figure $100-200 depending on whether you buy new (Chinese) or used.

Most likely your saw needs a 1725rpm motor, which are harder to find used. And watch that you get the right motor rotation and matching frame (probably 56).

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
If you don't want to resaw anything a 3/4 or 1 HP will be fine. If you do get a 1.5 - 2 HP motor. Then if you ever want to put a riser block on it you'll still be OK.

John