Framing Nailers?
Although I'm 68 yo and have survived this long without 1. But in the spring I have a project that I really think a nailer will be a big help. HF has 2 for $80 each. 21 and 28 degrees. How does this come into play?
Jim
Higher angle 28 one uses clipped nail heads, the lower, full nail heads. With clipped heads you don't have to reload as often, I think they hold more. Some local building codes prohibit clipped nail heads. I went with the full head nailer.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What he said but I'll add.... Don't get a nail gun that uses wire or plastic collated nails. Paper collated only. The reason being is the wire and especially the plastic shoot shards of plastic and wire out every nail you put in. The plastic is worse as the pieces are bigger and more numerous and can sting or take an eye out.

Also there are full head nails for clipped head Nailers as well. Paslode has sold them for years now. But I do prefer a real full head nail over it. See what nails are available locally and what the prices are. I find that the type of nails carried varies allot in different places.
At 68 most nail guns will last through your project...BUT, at 68 the performance, ease of operation, weight, and reliability are important. I've never used the HF gun. I have used several Paslod and Porter Cable guns. The great thing about them, they are easily serviced by any number of service centers.
My guess is you could find a decent gun at a pawn shop or on Craig's List.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill Holt said:

My guess is you could find a decent gun at a pawn shop or on Craig's List.

^^^^^. About 4 years ago I needed one (I'm 67) for a project for the first time. I bought a used one; I think it was flea bay, but where ever it was it did just fine and I've even loaned it out (something I don't so normally) to others who had a one time need. The one I got was a well used Bostich.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have used both a Dewalt and and HF nailer. The HF nailer is okay for small jobs but would be very annoying for anything else. It would make double shots and have a tendency to jam.
Built a 12x16x12 Tall shed with a Borrowed Harbor Freight Gun. Seem to remember I could only get nails at Harbor Freight. Worked fine otherwise. You may want to consider the weight as others have mentioned. My opinion as far as Pawn Shops,Some stuff is stolen from Construction sites, tradesmen, trucks etc... Just my 2 cents.
21* the lower the angle, particularly on big nailers (frame and roof) you will see little to no hangups, and misfires.

The HF gun is rock solid. Wait until close to doing your build, buy the gun, keep the receipt. You have unconditional 30 days to return for a full refund. Likely you will be done with the framing portion of the job by then. If at 29 days it sux, return it. I'll bet right now you will keep it, and it, like Freds will get lent out to friends

These nailers are handier than a bag of doughnuts at an impromptu breakfast meet

Buy Oil, and though the HF nails work fine, a better grade from Senco, or Paslode will fire better, with less trash. Important though to get the same nail type, which would be 10 Gauge, 2-3/8" to 3-1/4" Long, 21° Angle, Full round head.

Somebody mentioned weight, and age. I'm 61, and I take offense, I can easily lift the gun, no matter the type. I do however get weary dragging 25' of hose around though, so for years I have had the solid hose to the work area, but within the close work area I always use the lightweight curly hose on anything with air from an air guage, to a full loaded roofing nailer, talk about weight

Bloomington Mike steered me toward this curly Flexilla win win, both strength, and ultra light weight

Thanks again Mike
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought a Harbor Freight 21 degree gun a 6+ years ago. I returned it because it wouldn't sink a toe nailed 3" nails. Flat was fine, it'd sink them flush but toe nailing would leave the heads about 1/2" proud. This was with air pressure 90 psi+. The new HF guns might be better. If you have an HF store nearby, they're real good about returns within 30 days.

If I were in the market for a framing nailer I think I'd keep my eye out for a Hitachi NR90AEPR. Lowes has 'em for $179, Big Sky Tools has 'em reconditioned for $109-$129 right now. More money than HF but likely more gun, too.
My longtime contractor FIL has 4 or 5 of the Hitachi's. I've now got two of his and they just work. Even after getting left out in the rain a couple times when I was building my shop, put some oil in them the next day and they worked perfectly.

If I had to buy another, the Hitachi would be the first one I looked at.

I run the plastic collated nails in them and have just gotten used to getting pinged in the face every once in a great while (like probably less than once per stick)...but then I always wear safety glasses when using tools like that.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark