I'm Scared
I finally got a lathe and its going to cost me money
It is a tool I have always wanted but I an scared that it will take me away from the flat work as well.
I really like making tables and wine racks and jewelry boxes but I got a deal I couldn't turn down.

I picked up an old Atlas 12 x 36. Complete with a solid cabinet base and barely a scratch on the original paint.
There is still paint on the top of the tool rest.
Came with spur centre, 8" faceplate a skew chisel and a parting chisel...older and kinda worn out
I am thinking of a Oneway tallon chuck but wonder if the stronghold is worth the extra to me.

For tools I am figuring http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.as...&cat=1,330,49233,43164

maybe a bit longer handles though but thats the budget I want to stick to

I am kind of sticking with LV just because i'm in Canada and I don't know many other places to order from here. The US to Can dollar exchange is horrid right now

Just looking for some opinions and suggestions right now

And the lathe...delivered, was $100.00 (stealth gloat I think)

Also, what grit and type of stone should I have on the grinder for sharpening
For The Love Of Wood
Congrats! You're right to be scared. The vortex already pulled you in.

For a lathe with a 12" swing the Stronghold chuck would be overkill. You could also get a Teknatool SN2 or G3 chuck, as they're both really good chucks as well.

I would skip the tool set and get individual tools. Spindle gouges are fine for turning spindles, but you probably don't need as many sizes as the LV set gives, and you already have a skew and parting tool. Even if those are older you can learn how to sharpen properly on them and buy new ones when you're ready. I've had good luck with the WoodRiver tools from Woodcraft.

Have fun and enjoy your new toy ...er uhh tool!
Congrats on your new lathe. Looks like from the tools you got with it the previous owner did mostly spindle work. I'm surprised he didn't have a roughing gouge. I'd pick up a roughing gouge as well.

Are you wanting to do bowls or just spindle work? If bowls, you will want a bowl gouge. Start with a 3/8" gouge. If spindle work, then a spindle gouge of the same size. You will also want a grinder to sharpen your tools, and maybe a sharpening guide like the Wolverine to go with the grinder.

I did flatwork prior to getting my lathe. It definitely has taken away some time from flatwork, but I haven't missed it. If you want to combine the two, you could use the lathe for turning legs on some of your tables.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Overall length would almost put your fist inside if you decide to turn a 12" bowl. That said, I use similar lengths on a 16" lathe. These are longer, and should be a useful beginning for you. http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?...0&cl=0

Lots of people swear by KMS. I got a bum chuck from them that took two attempts by them, and a file by me to make it right. This should be a good set to learn on, though. https://www.kmstools.com/maxwood-6pc-hss...l-kit-3748 I'd make a straight chisel (beading tool) out of the scraper, but everything else is going to be used as it is.

It'll take time before you know enough about tools and turning to justify big bux, but there's years of use there.

I see they still offer Teknatool chucks, as well as a couple others.

Almost forgot. A 100 grit wheel is a good sharpening choice. I don't buy the "friable" baloney, since I tried one for my old carbon steel tools. Certainly not necessary to sharpen HSS alloys. Keep the touch light, and use the factory grind as its own jig until you start to find fault with it before you change the contour. I'm a freehander, but if you think a jig will help, try the preacher at http://www.aroundthewoods.com/

Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I agree with MM on his second link to tools at KM S. Henry Taylor makes very nice tools but that set, being so short, almost approaches a mini set where the set at KMS is full size. Just MHO.

KMS also offers the Nova G3 chuck at a good price considering the insert ($20-25) is free.
I have four G3's and have never had a problem with one.
https://www.kmstools.com/nova-g3-chuck-412
I do think they printed this backwards.
HSS 9" - 12 1/2" blades with 7" - 9" handles
Probably 9-12.5 handles and 7-9 blades.
I have a Oneway Talon and an Axminster with Type A & B dovetail jaws for my Jet 1220VS. Agree the Stronghold is overkill for this size lathe. The Oneway Talon is quality, but sometimes their stuff is overpriced. If $$ are a concern, compare the Axminster with the Oneway and get the cheaper one. If there are problems, Lee Valley (they carry both) will back you up no matter what you end up getting.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I have had a Oneway Talon for the past 15 years, also have a G3, nowhere near the quality of the Talon.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I gave my G3 to my father when I purchased a Talon. The G3 is good but the Talon is great. I also have some of those econo tools from Lee Valley and they are decent.
Wow, what price! Agree with all in terms of tools. Buy a good roughing gouge, 1" and 3/8" spindle gouge and start with spindles -- cause its easier to learn the basics.

The/a sharpening system is the key to turning. No matter how good your tools and techniques are, sharp tools are critical and tools must be sharpened frequently. So take good look at the options: high speed grinder, low speed grinder, low speed wet system (TormecK), the Wolverine system etc. Plenty of videos out there to watch to give you an idea. Once you've narrowed your choices, come back here and ask for opinions. Better yet, just ask the question now.
Great information. Thank you all. I can see I have a lot to learn about this and I'm quite excited to get started.
For The Love Of Wood