Lathe Stand
I've needed a place for my midi-lathe for a couple of years. It sat on the floor and the ways would get rusty pretty quickly. I also would do what little turning I do with the lathe sitting on the outfeed table of my table saw. Here's what I came up with.

I also recently made the box at the lower left to hold what few gouges I have. It's nice to have them off of the benches where they've been stored.

I do have a question about how to more permanently attach the lathe to the 2x12 it's sitting on. There are holes in the feet of the lathe, but they're really only large enough for some relatively small screws. I don't think screws would be good enough if the lathe really gets off-balance.

Suggestions? Experiences?

Blaine
Forgot to mention how the stand is constructed.

It's all from reclaimed lumber except the 2x12 on the top, which was given to me for this purpose and the 4x4 beams which were given to me when a friend was moving. The double locking casters, though, were purchased and weren't cheap even though I bought them at a store closing sale.

I half-lapped the 2x's, then glued and screwed them together. The construction is intended to give both strength from whatever weight is put on top, and to prevent racking. The screws are probably overkill, but WTH, I had those sitting around as excess from another project. In all, this cost me about $60 to make.

Blaine
Nice stand. If it were me, I would figure out the thickest bolts (maybe 1/4 or 5/16?) that would fit through the holes in the feet, get some washers and nuts, drill through holes in the bench and bolt it down.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
Yep that is what I did.

Also you did a good job in the stand which I might put a bag or two of sand underneath of it for more weight.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jet uses bolts to attach it to their stand. I have never had a concern about those bolts failing.

Just use steel through-blots with the right size washers and you should be fine.
Thanks for the compliments on the stand. I plan to make a cabinet that will go underneath the lathe to the right of the tool holder that will hold a bunch of turning supplies, such as that chuck that's on the bottom now.

As for putting sand bags on the bottom, I don't think that will do any good if I can't attach the lathe to the stand any better than it is now. Once the cabinet is in place, I think the combination of the stand, cabinet, and lathe will handle a whole lot of vibration from an off-balance piece.

I'm not sure the holes would be big enough for a #8 screw, let alone a bolt of any substance. Not trying to be a smarty here, but if it was big enough for a bolt, they'd already be in place.

Blaine
Is there a lip on the base? You could maybe make a more skookum version of these-

maybe out of oak and bolt through the 2X material. Depending on where they are located you could make a pretty secure attachment with 4-8 of them.
Blaine, I have the Jet 1220VS, I think it's the same as yours. Here's a pic of one of the bolts holding it down to the factory stand. You are right, it is a tiny little bolt. I didn't measure it, but I think it's 3/16". Never had a problem with it.

True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I like it!
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Blaine said:

I'm not sure the holes would be big enough for a #8 screw, let alone a bolt of any substance. Not trying to be a smarty here, but if it was big enough for a bolt, they'd already be in place.

According to the parts list on ereplacement, the Jet stand for the 1220 came with 1/4-20 mounting bolts.
It might be worth trying to see if a 1/4-20 would fit in the holes of yours or if you got one that could not be mounted on the Jet stand made for that lathe.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.