Carl Bilderback RIP
http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/11/20/...wonderful/
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Sad news. I just saw it announced on the old tool list. I only knew him through your interview with him that you posted. He seemed like a truly nice guy. My condolences. -DC
Aw darn. I'm sorry Slav, I know you were close. People like Carl don't come along often, he was generous and a one of a kind.

I still fondly remember when you and I went over and helped sweep up his shop a little bit. He had a great way to looking to teach everyone, but not to show off his knowledge, just to pass it along. He will be missed.
Rest in Peace Carl. My condolences to his family.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
We have lost a great man. Not the kind of great man that history remembers, the kind that makes a fortune with some scheme or contraption or is a conqueror or doer of great deeds or some kind of famous statesman. He was a simple man, he was a modest man, he was a man worthy of admiration; I know I admired him. He was a great man because he was one of the kindest souls you could ever meet. He was a great man because he was generous to a fault. He had a great sense of humor and loved to laugh as well as to make others laugh. He was selfless when it came to caring for his sick wife for so many years when most would have given up and put their loved one in a "home". He was a man of slight stature but had a giant heart. He was a man you were proud to call a friend. He was a man of principles. He was a man of integrity. There are far too few of this type of great man in the world and I for one believe we need more of these types of great men, not the kind that beat their chest and say "see, look at me, look at what I have done". We have enough of those kind of supposed great men. People who have conquered the world so to speak but don't a have single redeeming quality. The world needs more great men like Carl who are great not because of wealth or power or fame. Carl was a great man because he put others before himself, because of his seemingly limitless generosity and kindness. He was humble, he was warm, he was genuine. The kind of person we should aspire to be like. I can only imagine what a wonderful world we would live in if there were more people like Carl among us. Now he is gone and I believe in my heart of hearts that the world is a far lesser place without him.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Well said, John. Very well said, in particular, in your comments about the care of his wife. I don't think I ever talked to Carl where he didn't mention his wife and her care. His devotion was impressive.

My favorite Carl story also involves Chris Schwarz. Most of you know that, not only does Chris like to teach and thinks he's pretty decent at it, but he likes to talk. It was at a Lie-Nielsen event at Jeff Miller's shop many years ago when I was trying to improve my sawing skills. I'd asked Chris to give me some tips and he was generous and kind as we started. I'd gotten part-way through my first cut when Carl walked up and said something to me (I'd known Carl for a year or two before this). Chris took one look at Carl, stood up straight with a bit of a startled look on his face, said I should listen to "this master", and backed away like he was a kid who had been caught being naughty.

It was funny to see Chris act that way, but what it really told me was just how much respect he had for Carl and his skills.

The world, and the hand tool community, have suffered a great loss. Rest in peace, Carl.

Blaine
Rest in Peace Carl.

You will be missed.

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I guess that is why he did not answer my phone call yesterday.

He was an amazing and generous guy.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Carl gives us all a standard to aspire to. RIP.

Edit to fix the typo.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

Carl gives us all a standard or aspire to. RIP.

Could not find the right words to convey my thoughts, thank you Admiral.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.