I wonder what it cost to take this one down?
https://vimeo.com/81240461
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I'm going with about $2,000 an hour. Did they get it done in one day?
A BUNCH but --- not nearly as much as it would cost to repair house damage if it fell and then pay for the tree removal.
A friend of mine who does high end interiors works with a cabinet and furniture maker who is getting some pieces from the bottom section of that tree. He's going to use one of the slabs to make a huge conference table. I asked for photos.
We just had eight trees removed at the new house. Five of them were hanging over the house. A mix of Oak, Sweet Gum (very heavy stuff) and Tulip Poplar. Most of them were between 30" and 36" dia at the base and the Gums were about 100 ft tall. I got three bids and went with the one in the middle. The low bid guy didn't speak much engrish and I wasn't sure he understood what I wanted.

It took a crew of three men, five days. They didn't use a crane which utterly dumbfounded me. They tied the limbs off to other trees so everything swung away from the house. Then they felled the trunks using guy wires and high tension. Two trees missed the house by less than two feet. It was amazing to watch. The climber was also amazing to watch. All of these trees were covered with ivy and wild grape vines.

The cost for dropping 8 trees and trimming another and grinding the stumps was just under $10,000.00. that included chipping and hauling the small stuff but it did not include hauling away the big stuff. None of the bidders would haul it, they can't get rid of wet wood. So, I have about 8 cords to split and stack. Maybe by then, I'll have a wood stove or something to burn it in.
The video said that it was an elm. So it is really something that the tree did not succumb to Dutch Elm disease earlier.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Wow, that limb monkey was good! And he was slinging that 660 around like it was a limbing saw.

I wonder if the Stihl bought the picture the cutter took at the 5:10 point, with the Seattle skyline in the background?
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
When we went to Seattle last year, we walked by their store. Lots of huge slab furniture was on display. The place was very impressive and full of beautiful wood.
Cost a fortune to take down. Crane rental alone will be over 1k per hour. A concrete pump truck as mundane as it is is $500 hr for comparison.