I wonder what it cost to take this one down?
The climber impressed me, too, especially how he handled that big saw, just as you said. I help a local arborist, and this guy reminded me of him. Super competent with safety always at the top of the list. Otherwise, they don't live long. I've helped him take down some pretty big trees, easily 40" at the stump, and he's never used a crane. Some have been hanging over houses, too, but with careful rigging it can all be steered away as each limb and trunk section is cut. Amazing to see. The crane certainly made this job a lot faster and easier, but it can be done, safely, w/o one.

Great video. Thanks for posting it. And what a great Stihl promo shot the climber took.

John
jteneyck said:

Great video. Thanks for posting it. And what a great Stihl promo shot the climber took.

John

A slightly better shot would have been of him standing on the top of the butt log when ~30' of it was left and the tip of the saw was down and the motor was up by his chest. Taken with a drone, that shot would have been epic. Like this only on top of the log and with the skyline in the background:

jteneyck said:

I've helped him take down some pretty big trees, easily 40" at the stump, and he's never used a crane. Some have been hanging over houses, too, but with careful rigging it can all be steered away as each limb and trunk section is cut. Amazing to see. The crane certainly made this job a lot faster and easier, but it can be done, safely, w/o one.

That's true enough, but I got the impression they wanted those logs long for reclamation, and that's a problem with the road and sidewalk below if you don't use a crane.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
One of the guys from Urban Hardwoods called me about an Oakley stroke sander I had for sale around ten years ago. They were just starting out. I still have the sander but had I been more forward thinking I should have tried to get a job with them.
Considerably more than if Jim Bob wrapping a log chain around it, and taking off up the street in his 4x4 tires squealing would have

I think every one of those tree cutting Cowboys had been to a few other rodeos before that one. The crane guy also knew his stuff. I think an assemblage of that kind of talent would cost more than 2K an hour on a few standard trees, but in a high liability arena like that. I'm thinking 5K an hour, and from the light, and minimal changes I think they only had about 4 to 5 hours on that job. Plus the title says November 19, 2013, which would be just one day. One would hope the home owner dumped that off on the municipality$$$$$$$
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Considerably more than if Jim Bob wrapping a log chain around it, and taking off up the street in his 4x4 tires squealing would have

I think every one of those tree cutting Cowboys had been to a few other rodeos before that one. The crane guy also knew his stuff. I think an assemblage of that kind of talent would cost more than 2K an hour on a few standard trees, but in a high liability arena like that. I'm thinking 5K an hour, and from the light, and minimal changes I think they only had about 4 to 5 hours on that job. Plus the title says November 19, 2013, which would be just one day. One would hope the home owner dumped that off on the municipality$$$$$$$

That tree was between the sidewalk and the street and my SIL that lives in Seattle told me those trees are the citie's responsibility. Although she said she has never been directly involved with between the sidewalk and road work on any of their rental properties so she cannot confirm.
http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/

Further down in the comments section of the linked video.

THANKS for posting that. Very enjoyable. I have done my share of chainsaw work but would never consider doing what that dude was doing. As someone said, he slung that Stihl around like it was nothing.

Very well trained crew, good equipment, good planning. Worth every penny.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Once again CC with a friend, or fambly member with all the 411. Impressive
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The guy running the crane new his business, too. You notice how the cut off log just floats away. The guy in the top of the tree did.
The guy that cuts trees for me has done that kind of work with cranes but more often without. I am always amazed at what he can do with almost nothing more than a chainsaw and a rope. No idea what type of rope it is just know it is expensive and incredibly strong. I have seen him lower limbs that have to weigh over 1000 lbs with the rope wrapped around the trunk and a guy or 2 easing it down
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.