Can anyone help me date this woodie? German?
I got the off ebay for around $4+shipping. Why? My son is wanting to plane some wood and I figured if he dropped a woodie I would not cry as much as if he dropped my Stanley or LV stuff....and it was cheap and small. At first I thought is was German based on the shape but then the crown looking stamp made me think British, but then the word "garantie" made me think Geman again. Anyway, I see a 78 where the cap iron slot is, also the wedge has Oct 1925 written in pencil and maybe an initial with another date that looks to start with an 18...maybe 1824? Not sure at all. Probably 1924 but it does look like an 18--.
Anyway, thoughts?

Neither German nor British, the truth lies in between. Your plane is Dutch, made by Jan Nooitgedagt. Here's more than you ever wanted to know about Nooitgedagt (if you can read Dutch):
http://nooitgedagt-ijlst.nl/nooitgedagt-zonen-1865-1940

Wolfgang
Thanks a lot!!!

Any way if daring it other then the written dates?

thanks again.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Continental, as in the Continent of Europe, is typically the best way to describe bench planes with horns.
IMO, 1925 is a good guess.

Wolfgang