Home built crane
Guy builds his own crane to lift beams for shop build. He actually documents his entire shop build and it's interesting because he uses alot of joinery instead of just fasteners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ChqmMxg...86FXHnjROP
An enjoyable video.
He should buy a slick.
I've built a crane that uses an electric hoist for lifting and a 1 ton come-a-long for moving the boom which is not used for lifting walls,just beams and the like.Simple design I came up with. A-frame made from 2 x 6 's with another 2 x 6 at the bottom. The bottom piece is lagged screw to the floor with heavy duty strap hinges.At the top of the A, a 1" x 8" solid round bar goes thru holes for a pulley. About 3'-0" up from the bottom the hoist is mounted on a 3/4" plywood lagged to the A- frame.
For lifting walls this is all you need. The A- frame acts as the boom.The hinges are bolted close to the top wall plate.I nail 1-1/2" roofing nails thru banding iron and into the plate bottom.Then into the subfloor on about 8'-0" centers to keep the wall from slipping off the floor deck.
The cable is fastened to wall plate and then the lifting begins.As the
hoist cable returns on the spool the wall tilts up.
At about 80 ° I nail braces on the wall ,then slack the hoist line .The last 10 ° is pushed up easily by hand.
There are commercial jacks made for this purpose that are made from steel pipe.They were costly as I recall.I can put one of these together in 30 minutes or so now if needed. The commercial jacks I believe use a hand winch instead of the electric hoist.
The crane needed for lifting beams uses the come-a-long for adjusting the boom angle.You must either counter-weight the A- frame or build a short version of the A-frame and thru bolt to the deck.My shopmade crane has lifted 40-'-0" x 4" x 15" parallams .This particular lift concerned me as It was much heavier than any lift done before.
I added temporary 2 x 6 braces to the A-frame for added strength.
Worked fine though I sweated it out til done.

mike
That guy sounded like he was from outta town. Where's he from? French Canadian?

carl
Thought I heard a Northern accent!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Carl Grover said:

That guy sounded like he was from outta town. Where's he from? French Canadian?

carl

North of Alabama for sure

Guessin Quebec.......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
He posts each video twice on his youtube channel. One in French and one in English. The wood shop he built is really nice.

Just go to youtube and search " the woodpecker"
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me