Question for the cyclone DC owner
I reconfigured my HF DC by mounting the motor inlet over a Super Dust Deputy with a metal trash can below it. The output side of the DC motor goes into the standard DC ring which has a Wynn filter on top and a plastic bag below. This is my poor man's cyclone.

Anyway, today I'm doing a bunch of planing and I'm getting a bunch of chips flying into the bag. I always have this but much more than usual--today maybe 1/3 the chips are in the bag. The can isn't full. What's going on? The can sits loosely underneath a plywood plate connected to the bottom of my SDD. I routed a channel in the bottom of the plywood to accept the rim of my trash can. When the DC is on, the can gets sucked upwards about 1/8" into that channel.

My system us using 4" hose and pipe. Is the velocity too high because of the smaller pipe or is the can to plywood junction too leaky preventing chips from falling down the SDD? I also have the small DD with my shopvac and this doesn't happen. The lid on top of the 5 gallon bucket snaps on there.

If your cyclone starts letting chips into your bag, what's the first thing you investigate?

Thanks
Paul
Sounds like you have a leak some where between the can and lid or cyclone and lid. Might even be the can. Can you put it all in a plastic trash bag and seal it to the cyclone body. Turn it on and it will verify if you have a leak by sucking the bag tight to the container.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
My first guess would be a leak in the dust bin area as well. I test mine with a cigar (smoke). Even a small leak can let the debris get the cyclone body.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Ok, I guess I'll pick up some incense sticks and some tubes of caulk.

Thanks
Paul
Consider buying some closed cell foam tape as well, and put it between the can and the plywood lid (if it isn't like that already).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

Consider buying some closed cell foam tape as well, and put it between the can and the plywood lid (if it isn't like that already).

Will do. After I routed the groove in the underside of the plywood lid, I filled it with some latex caulk which I had hoped would stay flexible enough to form a tight seal against the can's rim. Apparently that didn't work too well.
AlanBienlein said:

Sounds like you have a leak some where between the can and lid or cyclone and lid. Might even be the can. Can you put it all in a plastic trash bag and seal it to the cyclone body. Turn it on and it will verify if you have a leak by sucking the bag tight to the container.

That's a really great idea...
Benny

I have what I think is about the same setup on a 45 gal drum.

The lid I have has a 90 degree elbow inside the can. If its not on or not pointed right to swirl the dust I get lots of chips in the bag. If I realign the elbow the chips drop into the can.

I don't have any real seal between the lid and can, it just sits there on a plywood ring cut out to adapt the lid to the drum
For The Love Of Wood