Secret Santa Shipping Etiquette
Hey all,

I thought I would start this post to ask our fellow members their thoughts on this issue that occurred with me last year in hopes that it doesn't bite anyone in the butt this year. It wasn't an issue for me, but I can see it being rough for someone who might not be in the spot financially to cover it easily...

What happened was my secret santa was located out of my country, and using UPS, when his gift arrived, I had to pay over $80.00 for brokerage fees and duty charges. As I said, I really wasn't worried and didn't mind in the least, but it got me thinking, what if it was a person who doesn't have extra money. Right around Christmas, that could create a crummy situation for them.

I guess what I am asking is, do we all expect this and it is no worry or should there be an expectation on the Secret Santa to cover the fees and duties when shipping overseas? I personally have shipped all but one of my Secret Santa gifts over the years out of country and have elected to pay all fees if they occur, but is expecting other shippers to do the same unreasonable?

I hope this doesn't come across poorly... I am just trying to maybe save a fellow woodworker any future grief with similar situations.
My SS present year before last came from across the pond. It got opened for inspection several times along the way, but arrived safely. If there were any duties involved, my Santa handled it in such a way that I never knew that they existed. You make me even more grateful to that very generous Santa.

I have not had an out-of-country recipient yet, so these fees never really occurred to me. My thanks for pointing this out. It is very much appreciated for the future.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
When you sign up for SS, you can make a request that your SS recipient not be out of country. I'm pretty sure that is in the form you fill out after you sign up. Otherwise, I think it's expected you cover shipping. I drew a SS from Canada a couple of years ago. I ordered something from LV thru the Canadian side of their sales. That avoided any duties or tariffs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

When you sign up for SS, you can make a request that your SS recipient not be out of country. I'm pretty sure that is in the form you fill out after you sign up. Otherwise, I think it's expected you cover shipping. I drew a SS from Canada a couple of years ago. I ordered something from LV thru the Canadian side of their sales. That avoided any duties or tariffs.

That is the thing... Shipping costs are seperate from duties and brokerage fees. I just didn't know if everyone who elects to ship anywhere their recipient is was aware of that. When you ship goods out of your own country, you can elect to have the sender or the receiver responsible for any duties etc incurred. I have always incurred those charges myself no problem, but if others leave that as the responsibility of the receiver, it could leave them with a bit of a bite out of their wallet to receive their gift...