DVR Drill Press beta test!
handi said:

The DVR technology offers many features not seen before.

Yes, it has full torque even at 50 rpm. This is more like an inverter than a resistor speed controller. The computer constantly reads both rpm AND load and applies power as needed.

It also will shut down very rapidly if it senses a spike in the load. So when the bit catches as it exits a piece of metal, it will shut down rather than spinning the steel mindlessly. This technology is the same as their DVR lathe and it works. I had a tool catch on mine and you could see by the groove in the part that it stopped in just about one revolution.

The computer controller firmware can be updated, so new sub-routines can be added. For example, they are working on one that will start a bit very slowly, increasing the power and rpm as the resistance increases. This would prevent the tip of the bit from wandering before it had enough material around it to help guide it.

Ralph

Sounds very much like what a vfd will do when it has the sensorless vector/constant torque technology incorporated. From what I understand, most of these new lathes coming out are all essentially 3 phase motors with built in VFD's to handle the speed and load duties. All the features you quote are incorporated into most higher end VFDs sold lately, including the DC braking function and the slow ramp up/down on the speed.

I don't know how revolutionary this technology is, certainly it hasn't been incorporated into a press before. I'm still curious about how big the motor is and what the current draw is.
Direct drive you say? Can I throw an XY table under it and mill metal?
-Darkheart
"Truth is cheap, but Information costs."
It's been so long since I first read about these, I though maybe they died in conception....good to see things are moving forward.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Used everyday, ~150$ controller years ago.
The only way to drill and tap.
Acceleration/deceleration under your control.
& that means braking too. This one is set for 3" up or down.
And, of course, RPM. 3 phase x 3/4 hp with a Tico VFD. Can handle 1" holes in steel.
Pat Warner
I wonder what the quill travel is and does it use a #2 taper like the new powermatic?
Are you using a floating tap then Pat? That setup is not encoded to do power tapping it does not look like is it?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Can also do what I did for a few Amish chums about a decade ago: They wanted a drill press. Did not want electricity. Did not want to turn the crank of a post drill.

I stripped the electric motor off of the DP and rigged up an air motor, with equal pulleys on drill and motor. Worked like a charm, with varying the speed controlled by restricting a ball valve on incoming air (yes, by the way, they did allow an air compressor outside of their workplace and in this case, it was a huge diesel powered compressor).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
The torque is there to tap steel.
Using a treddle (on/off) for my third hand.
So the tap stops (unloaded) in 3 seconds.
In the work, release of the treddle stops tap instantly from the load, never breaks ether.
No tapmatics , no heroics, just let go of the foot switch.
Done for >35 years without a busted tap nor an overdrive.
Pat Warner
Your treddle is switching contacts on the VFD then? What are you using to reverse the VFD drive direction? Any video of it in action to show us?

Sorry for the OT!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Note the exposed pulleys.
Tap retraction x grabbing the belt in reverse.
1/4-20 in a 1/2" of aluminum takes ~2 pulls on the belt.
Would I recommend for the Klutz? Absolutely not.
Pat Warner