Magnetic jointer knife setting jig
What am I doing wrong ?
Made sure out feed and indeed tables level
Found top dead center
Set jig on outfeed table on top center marks
Set knives where the touch jig
When I try to rotate either way knife hits underside of indeed and outdoes
table it's a 6 delta Rockwell jointer
I use a different method using a strong magnet and a piece of glass.
I do not think you need to make the tables the same height with your jig,just parallel to each other. The infeed table can be lower.Then the cutters won't touch the table. I'll assume your directions will be the same as follows.
Loosen the locking screws.
Set jig over the cutterhead.
Rock cutterhead back and forth very slightly so knife comes up to the magnets.The cutter should be flush to the magnets.
Snug locking screws and check.
Repeat for other knives.
Raise the front table for depth of cut and try a test piece.
My method only differs in the magnet and piece of glass.I place a piece of 1/4" plate glass from a jalousie window on the outfeed table only. I lower the infeed table at least 1/2" for easier access to the cutterhead screws.No need to find top dead center,this method does it for you.I have a magnet rated at 50 lb pull that goes over the glass.The knife pulls straight up with a definite "click".I rock the cutterhead slightly so the blade is dead flush with the glass.
Then I snug up the screws,check and tighten the screws.
Usually takes me 40 minutes or less to remove,clean cutterhead and replace knives.

mike
problem 1 you are using a magnetic knife setting jig

problem 2 your in and outfeed tables are set too low allowing the knife to protrude out of the head too far

My rule of thumb the knife extends the length of the grind + 1/32" if you have no other reference to use

One way to help you understand knife height is to use a stick to set knives

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe
The I feed and outfeed are set at the highest
OK I was thinking the wrong way lower them that will widen the gap

Dyslexia is my defense on T day

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

problem 1 you are using a magnetic knife setting jig

Joe

This.

Magnetic knife setting jigs are mostly worthless as the knives will creep up some when tightening the gib screws and there is no way of telling how much they move, so each knife could be at a different height.

A dial indicator or the stick method are probably the best and most accurate ways of setting knives.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Mr. Bob Vaughn has made an excellent tutorial video on setting jointer knives with a dial indicator. This method works really well and the video is easy to follow. If you were to google it, you would surely find it.
I highly recommend his procedure, it works well.
Gordon
Joe

My jointer only has the gib screws I don't see any springs or adjustment screws to adjust height Using the board method how do I hold the knife in place while I tighten the gib screws
what jointer do you have?

did it once upon a time have springs ( you can see the hole seats if it did).

Older Rockwell delta 37-220