Jacobs chucks advice
I am thinking about adding a Jacobs chuck to mamaSanta's shopping list. My Delta 46-460 midi uses a #2 Morse Taper. I would like to hear what you all have to say about which one and where to get? Should "she" opt for a keyless or keyed chuck?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Yes!

Sorry, no help, I know. I've got a key chuck and like it. I've never used a keyless Jacob's chuck but on my drill, I use the motor to turn the chuck in my hand to tighten it. You won't have that on a lathe.

I got mine from Craft Supply
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I like my keyless Jacobs chuck. It's much more substantial than the keyed one it replaced. A lot quicker to change out drill bits or Forstner bits. I don't remember which brand it is, but the chuck is a dark gray or black color. Might be the Turner's Select chuck sold by CSUSA.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For me a Keyed Chuck since I have seen people use a keyless and the bits slip on them a lot.

I just got the 1/2" one from PSI and it has worked great for years now. I also open up the mouth and put the key into it so I never lose it.

I do now have the 1/4" for small drill bits.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I also have the PSI 1/2 chuck and it works very well.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Own both, use the keyed on the lathe. I think it's more secure and easily secured than the lightly knurled keyless.
Got it through Woodcraft, I believe. "Golden Goose" brand with an outline of a pelican head etched in it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have the keyless one from Woodcraft and it works very well.
Don
Thanks guys! I added one to the shopping list from wood turner's catalog. Now I just hafta stay out of trouble for the next month.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
I have a key less that I use on the lathe.Picked it up from Woodcraft and was not very expensive,30.00 dollars I think.It does speed up bit changes.It tightens easily by hand and has never slipped.Also no key to loose in the chips
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
I have both for the wood lathes but use the keyless - I haven't used the keyed chuck for years. I have never had it slip when drilling.

BTW, I prefer to use bits with three flats ground where the chuck grips. The higher quality bits are often made like this.

JKJ