Holdfasts?
Any recommendations for purchasing some holdfasts? I'm leaning towards Gramercy at Tools for Working Wood because they have good reviews and are priced right. Are there others I should consider? Thanks.
The Gramercy are top class. I have four of them, and all four work well in my 4" thick bench. I also have one from The Best Things. It was made by one of the Williamsburg blacksmiths on his own time. It works very well in my saw bench and in the apron of my bench, but the bench top is a little thick for it.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

This very question came up recently. Do a search. You can't really go wrong with TFF's. They might struggle in thicker tables, however. There are workarounds.... I think adjusting hole diameter is one way. Talk to Joel if you are facing more than 3 inches.

The Pop Wood kahuna mentions blacksmith sources being the best bet, but you aren't looking for bargains down that path.
Pretty hard to beat the Gramercy holdfasts. I have a pair and they do everything I need a holdfast to do. The Lie Nielsen holdfast is nicer looking and a little classier, but at more than double the price. Or you could order a custom pair from Peter Ross or another boutique blacksmith and pay some real money if you want to go for bragging rights. Too bad Phil Koontz still isn't making them. Again, a lot more money than the Gramercy, but I'd love to have a pair on my bench.
I have a pair of the Gramercy holdfasts from Tools for Working Wood.
As you already know they are priced well. They also work well. No need
to overthink it. Get em.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have a pair of Gramercy holdfasts from Tools for Working Wood and they work very well. I use them often. My favorites, however, are these from Lee Valley. They are very strong and the perssure they exert is quickly and easily adjustable. Their shaft has sharp ridges that prevent the holdfast from slipping - ever, and there are two shaft lengths available, which is a help if you have limited space availabl below your bench top. They are considrably more expensive than the Gramrcy, but worth it in my opinion.
Another vote for the LV version.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
I have one of the LV clamps as well, more bullet proof than a conventional holdfast and the one to use if you want to be sure something doesn't move. But it is slower to use and causes more wear on the dog holes as well as 4X+ the cost. I don't use mine as often as the Gramercys. YMMV
MarkSingleton said:

I have a pair of the Gramercy holdfasts from Tools for Working Wood.
As you already know they are priced well. They also work well. No need
to overthink it. Get em.

What he said!
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Yes, great value for the Gramercy holdfasts from LV. They look fine and work great. I started with one pair and added a second pair using a gift card given to me. Two pairs are even better than one!

Simon