Lie-Nielsen Event, Dec. 4 & 5, Homestead Heritage, Elm Mott, Texas
Just a "heads up" for you Texas folks, or folks who will be near Waco, Texas, this upcoming weekend:

Join us this weekend at the Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event in Waco!
Dowd's Vintage & Antique Tools will be one of several guest demonstrators at this two day event hosted by Homestead Heritage, and we've got a fresh truck load of old tool treasures for you this time!
Homestead Heritage is a Traditional Crafts Village that showcases a community of craftsmen who returned to the values exemplified in handcraftsmanship. Many of you are familiar with, or may have even taken classes at, the Heritage School of Woodworking. The Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event will take place in the woodworking shop. We are very excited to be a part of this collaboration and expect it to be an exceptional venue.
In addition to ongoing demonstrations by the Lie-Nielsen crew, the fine craftsmen of Homestead Heritage, and Jason Thigpen of Texas Heritage Woodworks, Mark Giles will be on hand representing the Society of American Period Furniture Makers. You will definitely want to allow some extra time to visit the shops of the Homestead Craft Village and have a bite to eat at Cafe Homestead. Best of all, you will have plenty of opportunities to get some hands on practice with any of the tools that are of interest to you.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 4TH
10am - 6pm
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 5TH
10am - 5pm
HOMESTEAD HERITAGE
608 DRY CREEK RD.
WACO, TEXAS 76705
(Actually outside of Waco in Elm Mott, Texas)
Admission is FREE
Visit http://www.homesteadheritage.com for more information on the venue, maps, and directions.
As always, please let us know if there is something special you would like for us to bring along.
We look forward to seeing you!
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
https://www.facebook.com/dowds.tools
The Homestead Heritage community has an annual Thanksgiving weekend fair which is being extended to Dec 4 and 5 due to the rain over Thanksgiving weekend. The annual fair is very cool. Lots of demonstrations and craft booths. Very kid friendly as well. Lots of hands on stuff for them.

Homestead Heritage Fair

And if you take the hayride to the Brazos River Valley Overlook pavilion, yours truly helped build the structure in a timber framing class several years back.
So will the Fair be going on at the same time as the Hand tool event?
I would guess so. The hand tool event may be in the wood shop and the fair was deeper in the grounds last year.
Not someplace I could support. Observer article
So what exactly goes on at a LN hand tool event?

If I go what can I expect to see? Is it worth a long drive if I have never been to one?
Depends on how far you have to drive! Of course Texas isn't a big state like Alaska, so clear across the state wont take too long!!!! Seriously its worth going to. LN will have one or more of every one of their tools on hand that you can try out. Folks will also be able to give you pointers in using them. The shows I have been too, LN has offered free shipping on orders placed at the show. Its a good time.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge