Rockler Carbide Mini Turning Tool Set worth it?
Just picked up my first lathe (a used Delta Mini) and looking to purchase a set of lathe tools. Mainly looking to start off by making some pens, hand plane knobs and handles. I noticed that Rockler is selling the following set for $99 today:

Rockler Carbide Mini Turning Tool Set

Is this a good set to start on? Will I find these to be too short? The gentleman that sold me the lathe recommended I look at carbide lathe tools which led me to the Rockler sale. If not these, can anyone recommend a good starter set? Any advice would be helpful.
In a word, Yes, I think they're worth it. $33 a piece for these is a great deal. I'm a tool junky. I picked them up just 2 weeks ago for $120 for doing tops. The square one is nice to do the handles with.

The whole thing is high quality. The machining to the bar is very nice, the cutter alone goes for $20 and I like the rubber dipped handle and its shape.

The con, which is the only one, but a huge con, is the handles are so short, so much that you really feel the leverage when you start to cut. I'm still satisfied, but I wouldn't use these for anything more than a pen or top.
I also think they are worth it, however, it also depends on what you plan on turning in the long run.

For me I had the small EZ tools ones since I could not keep up with the guys in sharpening the regular tools and I did not know who to really sharpen them until last year when Lyle Jamieson paid me a visit.
I had my whole set up wrong and now that I know what to do and how to grind I go with M2 steel.

I also gave my EZ tools away to a vet that got his own lathe and he did not have enough to get tools too. Now I am hopping to get some more in the future and Me personally I would rather buy from EZ wood tools since the carbide is the same price as Rockler and that is really the main cost of the tools.

Also PSI has a set just like Rockler but for $89 instead of $99 here with one handle and three inserts

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXPMSET.html

You also will get three carbide replacement bits that are the same price as 1 carbide bit anywhere else.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXPMXX.html

Do you have a grinding system?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a grinding system (albeit a basic one) but I haven't had much practice using it. I'll give the PSI set a look and figure out which one I'll get.
I think their set is really optimized for pen turning, despite the fact they sell a smaller "pen turning" set. You could rehandle them with longer handles if you wanted to use them for projects that need a deeper reach. It's hard to beat that price, no matter where you go.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just a follow up: I did end up going with the Rockler set so I'll get to turning my first pieces once they arrive in the mail. Thanks again for the feedback/advice!
I ordered the PSI set via Amazon for $72.

I'm thinking with the interchangeable tips, it should be easy enough to bore another piece of drill rod and tap for a set screw to make a longer handle.

Duke
JDuke said:

I ordered the PSI set via Amazon for $72.

I'm thinking with the interchangeable tips, it should be easy enough to bore another piece of drill rod and tap for a set screw to make a longer handle.

Duke

Amazon canceled my order due to lack of availability.

When I ordered Penn state showed them in stock, so I'm guessing they sold out the full price ones and didn't have enough left to fill mine from Amazon.

I may order a set when Amazon shows them back in stock.
You can go to Capt Eddies and get the bar stock and carbide for a lot cheaper.

If you wish I will find the link and give it to you. All you need to do is make a handle.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just my opinion, and many will disagree, but I find the carbide tools to be a gimmick. They're long-life scrapers - nothing more, nothing less. I'm very glad that I made mine rather than dropping the stupid money they want for them, especially since I was able to modify the tool into something useful afterward.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog