Interesting Pop Woodworking article
Bill_Houghton said:

Hey - she's a Shakespearean scholar - her humor's likely to tend toward the strong flavors, from reading all those plays of Will's.

I haven't read it yet; still working my way through a backlog of magazines.

Meaning ... not at your public library, yet?
joemac said:

It was obviously meant in humor. If that humor isn't funny to you, so be it. Nonetheless I am certain that Megan never intended to show a lack of respect for the rehabbers, as she is rehabbing an older home she purchased and has rehabbed quite a bit of old furniture. I saw it as a tongue in cheek article and nothing more.

She is a lot smarter and much classier than to throw stones at the industry that puts bread on her table and gives her so much personal enjoyment.

My 2 cents worth and not intended as a flame.

Absolutely, it was tongue-in-cheek. Some people JUST like finding, fixing and rehabbing old tools (collectors). Others like to use the old tools. Still others would rather spend the time making stuff rather than being a back-yard metal worker. And finally, there are the majority who are a mix of all aspects.

Those who are a target for unsolicited comments (magazine editors & authors, instructors - particularly those with video channels, any any other figure-of-note) get tired of the constant haranguing that "your doing it wrong" when they talk about a new tool. Methinks the relief valve popped and Ms. Eylnour Rummyng was just having a wind-up.

Interestingly, there is a PW video with Don Williams where he (this is by memory, I haven't gone back to check) discussing the making of glass paper as it relates to pre-industrial finishing of woodworking.

It might be fun to make my own glass paper. Once.

(Oh, and since it is deer season, how many of you are going to be making your own hide glue or sinew bow strings?)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
clydeone said:

I know I will likely offend someone with this post

Yes!

On a lighter note: You know, when you have tromped around in the rarified air of power for a while, you learn that power mongers pushing their own agenda manipulate common sense by this very tactic. Sensitivities are basically manufactured crap intended to force one ambition into dominance. When several bulbs are involved pushing gets comical at times.

Nice poster. Says a lot.
When I read it, first I was like , and then I was like , and then finally I was like

My tool kit is also made up almost entirely of restored antique tools. I know when I'm being satirized.

But then I saw that Megan let Raney use the word "Apologia" in the title of that article on infills, and I'm all about raising the literary quality of popular publications.

So now I'm cool with it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I knew it was satire as soon as I saw the title. While I rarely do more than skim the editorial page, I read this one just to see if I could guess who triggered the broadside. I suspect that for every 3 reader questions & comments that find their way into the magazine, there are probably a 100 more with crap about how the editors are shills for manufacturers, overly focused on one particular style, not including enough for beginners, including too many beginner level articles, ignoring the eastern woodworking traditions, etc., etc., etc., etc. It's the only woodworking magazine I still subscribe to.
Rob Young said:

It might be fun to make my own glass paper. Once.

No, no, what you do is go find yourself a shark or ray (watch the stinger if it's a ray), wrestle it to shore and kill it, and skin it. I believe shagreen was a pretty durable abrasive. Good, brief discussion here.

And you can get some nice steaks out of the deal, if it's a good sized shark.

I imagine a nice mature great white would give you years of material.

Next day edit: I read the piece, and here's my vote for liking it. And I see Megan anticipated my shark suggestion.
I usually don't read the editorials either, but it caught my interest and had me hooked for a while. It's kind of nice that we can add some humor in our woodworking. Plus we all will go read it, and probably next month's also. I am also guilty of what she is talking about sometimes, but it doesn't bother me.
With most magazines I rarely read the lead editorial, but I've come to look forward to hers, and this month was no different. People get so bent up these days.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
I've got a Dover reprint of an old book that actually has a glasspaper recipe.
No foolin'.
At one time, it was a skill many trades had to have, particularly cabinetmakers.
The chances of me actually making my own glasspaper are slim, fat and none; and Slim just left. Still, I find it interesting to read.
I took it more as a reply to the many comments she gets asking why she (or anyone) would buy X, when an equivalent is so readily available.

It's interesting that it seems to me I've encountered more comments that go the other way, suggesting that you need to buy some expensive item rather than building or fixing up an old one.

It all depends on what you want to do, and how much you can/want to spend to do it.

I didn't find the column all that funny, but I have no problem with an exhausted editor (perhaps redundant?) making the effort. I like her magazine.