Retrofitting LED inserts into can lights?
I have 3 bathroom fixtures (over tub, shower) that I want to transform to LED. My current ones have a cover over them that I want rid of. I don't want just the bulbs, but a new insert, but the problem is that the housings don't have the two clips that most of the LED replacement inserts use to install the spring clips. Mine fasten from the top. I'm thinking of making and installing some clips myself and solving the problem, any ideas? Thanks!
Odd cans you have. There are leds that have a spring type install. Instead of using the common clip on he inside that most trims use the led has 3 curved sheet metal pieces that spring out. So you plug the pigtail into the socket hen plug that into the led and just push the whole thing in there.

The leds you need look like these. Lowes and depot have them sometimes but I know depot cleared a bunch out a while back that style as no one was buying them.

www.grainger.com/product/CREE-LED-Recessed-6-In-Downlight-43Y171
I'm not a fan of that style as its not as good as the other but in your case you have little choice. There are clips that come with a few commercial leds that you screw into the can so you can clip it in like usual but they are pricey bulbs and I used to have bags of them but tossed them.
I recently bought some Commercial Electric led can lights from HD that come with their own springs that obviously are meant to push on the can, so they only require the can to be round. They are convertible to junction box use too.
My LED bulbs look just like regular can lights bulbs. No changes to the trim ring or Can are necessary.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I recently installed a couple with the little springy thing. Costco has two-packs for like 20 bucks. I'm going to get more at lunch today actually One of my cans has the 3 clip thing, so I had to improvise a little to get two of the springy things into one slot, but it worked. The other one went in fine. What I liked was that Costco had a display so I could show the wife the color of the light...
Benny

Costco has two that they sell. What they have or if they have varies allot. One is much more yellow than the other. The blue packaged one isn't as yellow. I can't remember the color temp though. It's like 3k.

They are $17 each here. No electric company or state subsidies on them here.
Yes, Costco carries LED replacements and they work great. I have replaced 5 or 6 with no problem. I found FEIT electric bulbs purchased at Menards to replace 25 watt incandescent bulbs in chandelier and drop down light system in our bar and entryway areas which burn much cooler and no replacements yet in any of them.
I too use the bulbs that look just like the old flood bulbs in my cans. I do notice a very significant difference in my electric bill. It has dropped from ~290-320 to $160 this month. I think I have just about all of them swapped out. I will say that I have been fining the kids and wife a buck each time I find the pantry door open or a closet door open. Those all have door switches so there is *NO* reason for those doors to be left open thus leaving the lights on.
So my requirements are wet rated (above tub and shower), and I need the entire insert. I thing they will look better and produce better light than the current ones laying on their side, plus they are "indented" in the fixture so the light is more focused rather than flood. They will have to fit in a can with no tabs.
I've seen cans where the spring tabs were embossed in the metal just not bent out. Any chance of that? How about some pics of these cans? How are the existing covers installed?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry