Wolverine
Just picked up the basic Wolverine system yesterday and mounted it last night. I am very impressed with the quality and sturdiness of this sharpening jig.

Already tried it on the roughing gouge and very impressed. Will I be OK putting the basic grind on a spindle gouge using the arm without the veri-grind? I am still trying to get the hang of the spindle gouge.

Do I really need the skew jig? I feel that I will be able to use the flat platform for those.
I have the skew jig, use it once a year just for a new grind. I couldn't live without my vari-grind for spindle gouges
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

I resisted getting the vari-grind, but now that I have it, I LOVE it. I used to slowly screw up the grind on my spindle gouges, but with the vari-grind, I get consist results and very quickly.

I don't have the skew jig.
Scoony said:

Do I really need the skew jig? I feel that I will be able to use the flat platform for those.

If you avoid the oval skews (as you should), then the skew jig is a total waste of money and space.

You will want to do a tuneup on the flat platform before you use it.
First, check to see if there is a bump over the attachment weld. If so, then use a mill smooth file to get the top of the platform flat.

Second, the thickness of the platform keeps the top surface of the platform from supporting the grind close to the wheel. If you tilt the platform to a high angle (say 45*), then you can use the coarse wheel to grind a groove under the edge of the platform (stop when the groove touches the top edge). Now, at regular angles, you can move the platform right up next to the wheel. That lets the platform take all of the weight/force of the grinding and you only have to position the tool that you are grinding.

Even if you do get stuck with some oval skews, you can still sharpen them on the platform. It just takes a bit more finesse (mainly if the edge is longer than the wheel is wide). Also, a diamond hone is great for doing touch-up sharpening on skews between trips to the grinder. With a 600 grit hone, you do not need to go back to the grinder very often at all. I have and use the one that Alan Lacer sells.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks for the tips. I will tune up the platform.
Some good tips there. I hadn't noticed a bump on my platform but now will check. That Alan Lacer diamond slip stone is very nice. Just what I needed, another item for the wish list...

Doug
I resisted buying the Wolverine *with the Vari grind jig* system for years, instead relying on freehand grinding.

I caved a couple weeks ago. It's quick and the grinds are very clean and consistent.

I should have bit the bullet years ago.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
You don't use the platform for swept back grinds like spindle or bowl gouges. The vee cradle also is not used for that kind of grind. The vari grind solves the problem by elevating the handle and controlling the rotation as you sharpen. You can, of course, freehand those gouges. I was horrible at freehanding it. Once I got the vari-grind, life was much more tolerable. There are a host of videos out there on using the vari grind to help you learn.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If you don't want to spend the money on a vari-grind you could always make one. This one isn't mine, but I've been using one like it for about 10 years and it works great.

Shop Made Vari-Grind
Well, I am kind of different... Only 'kind of'? You can sharpen any turning tool on a good platform, and they were around long before jigs were. Most turners find it more person proof to use jigs for a lot of tools. I have never liked the V arm tools. Mostly, if not set up properly with the bevel contacting above the center line of the wheel, you can get a nasty catch on the grinder. A plat form is more simple, especially for a spindle roughing gouge, or any gouge that has little or no sweep to the nose. The more sweep there is to the gouge and wings, the more technical it gets. Interesting thing for me is that even when I had a gouge jig, my grinds were still not consistent, with one wing being longer, or the nose not on center, the wings slightly concave or convex... Probably made every mistake there is to make both with platforms and jigs. For skews, some want a straight line bevel, and some prefer one with an arc. Not sure if you can do the arc in a jig or not. Every sharpening station needs a platform. You can survive without jigs. Once you learn to free hand platform sharpen, you figure out that it really isn't as difficult as you thought it would be.

robo hippy