Some box projects for the holidays
When I need woodworking therapy, I sometimes do a set of dovetails in poplar scraps. Recently, I decided to do the same thing while directing my efforts towards something more lasting. My wood rack has a number of odd single boards that can yield little more that a box; and since I like the sliding-lid Shaker boxes, I made a few of those from those small boards, as gifts. The wood I had was birch, quarter-sawn sycamore, and some cherry. The boxes below are the result:
Great Work, and you call that practice eh?
It was time to do something more than making fruitless corners. I have a big box full of those. It also allowed me to get the little plow plane out and have some fun.
I was doing a dovetail now and then to practice, know exactly what you mean. Actually did them till the saw was dull, Finished a project or two with an older incra jig set up on my router table. Happy with the results but still want to do them by hand. After Christmas gifts are done thinking of getting a Veritas Dovetail saw to start down the path again.
Your dovetail practice clearly served you well. Those look great. Love the sycamore.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
Mike

You really did a very nice job in them. Do you go by plans or just wing it?

I also like how the lid domes up in the center which makes it look better IMHO too.

If you have plans I sure would like to get a copy from you.

Also did you do the box joints by hand too?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very nice Boxes Mike!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Thanks everyone. Arlin, I just looked at Googled photos under the Shaker candle box search terms and came up with something that fit the wood I had around. I have made these in pencil box size up to shoe box size. I plowed the grooves for the sliding lid and the bottom before I cut the sides to length. That way they match perfectly. For the lid you just sneak up on the fit of the tongue using a shoulder plane. The lid should be a "piston" fit, but be warned it will change in the humid months. There is no groove in the ends of the boxes. The lids are made like panels in a frame-and-panel door. A thumb nick made with a gouge into the lid serves as a pull. Those are fun to do.