Griz G1021 15" Planer - new Byrd head?
Knives are getting too dull. The planer has some age on it but still works ok.

Considering replacing with Byrd head (~$550) or just buying a new 15 inch Griz G0453Z with the German made shelix head ($1900)

My G1021 has a 2HP motor. Most/all 15 inch planers nowadays have a 3HP motor. Will the 2HP Griz be enough to run with a shelix head?

Is the Griz shelix on par with or better than Byrd head?
I have the same planer, installed a Byrd a few years ago. For my hobby shop use using rough sawn hardwood the 2hp Griz has plenty of puff to keep me happy. The install was straight forward, think it took me around 3 or so hours start to finish. well worth the $550 and probably less costly in the long run than buying a new machine and selling the old one.

Now, if you have your wife convinced that you need a new planer, disregard the above.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have pondered this same question form time to time. Mine is the current straight blade planer G0453.
Most curious to read the responses.
Ag
I have no problems with the motor on my dewalt 735 when I replaced the head with a Byrd head. I am sure it is nowhere near 2 hp as yours is. Then again I only have a 13 inch cut instead of a 15 inch cut.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Just a guess but I would think that a Shelix style head would use less HP, only one small knife hitting the wood vs a 15" knife, That said there would always be one hitting the board.
sroxberg said:

Just a guess but I would think that a Shelix style head would use less HP, only one small knife hitting the wood vs a 15" knife, That said there would always be one hitting the board.

I believe it's actually the other way around. The Byrd requires a bit more power.
When you say "has some age on it" do you mean some of it is worn out?
I would hope a planer like that would last and last. Maybe some new bearings, at some point. Maybe a switch, or motor, depending on the motor quality.
Now if it was a lunchbox, that would be a different story.
Of course, if money is no problem, go for it!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Pirate said:

When you say "has some age on it" do you mean some of it is worn out?
I would hope a planer like that would last and last. Maybe some new bearings, at some point. Maybe a switch, or motor, depending on the motor quality.
Now if it was a lunchbox, that would be a different story.
Of course, if money is no problem, go for it!

Just worn knives as far as I know. The Byrd head costs more than I paid for the planer.

BTW I sent a PM to Brian (Holbren). No answer yet.

Is he still active on the forum? Do we get a discount?
He's posted as recently as Dec. 4, so just be patient.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I talked to him by phone last week when I ordered a router bit from him. I am sure he will get back to you. Ken