Stuck chuck on Makita 3/4 hammer drill
Fairly new hammer drill. I opened the chuck the way I suspect most of us do, and I have done a bazillion times by holding the chuck while reversing the power. The jaws in the chuck, as you can see from the picture are all the way out and jammed in place.

I can't use the typical approach-sticking a straight portion of a hex key tightened down and a socket, cuz I can't close the jaws. I ground down a wrench to fit on the flats behind the chuck and used a pipe wrench to try and back out the chuck, but I couldn't get a good enough grip with the PW.

Any suggestions-heat, cold, WD-40, duct tape, hit it with the biggest hammer in my shop or just walk away and let it fix itself? (All of my favorite repair techniques, but somehow I don't think any of these are likely to work,)

Thanks,

Tony
Tony
Try a strap wrench and a very large pair of channellock pliers.
If you can get the tool in a vise first even better. Might squirt
some WD40 or even better, Kroil inside the jaws in case there
is some grit, etc, locking them.

Just a suggestion, but that would be my first try.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
With a keyed chuck like that one, it's hard to follow how you would have gotten to that position by the method you described without breaking your fingers! Whew!!! It's usually a keyless chuck that gets jammed like that.

My suggestion would be to put the key in the regular way, and try to dislodge the chuck by striking an arm of the key sharply with a hammer. Be sure to use eye protection because the key really can bounce when you hit it.

Good luck!